Saturday, January 3, 2009

Going to a PC bang--Sunday Dec 21

Day 4 in Korea..Sunday December 21

PC bang(Korean: PC방; "bang (방)" approximately means "room" in Korean) is a variation of LAN gaming center, where one can play multiplayer computer games with others. PC bangs are extremely popular among young South Koreans. It became extremely popular when Starcraft came out in 1997. Although computers and broadband penetration per capita were very high, many young people went to PC bangs to play LAN-based multiplayer games, with others.

So today I woke up around 1pm. Then I just stayed in bed for a little while longer.

Then I decided to go out to a PC bang. There are tons of these around the city. You can tell where they are because they say "PC" up on the building. I went to the computer sat down and I had no clue how to make the internet come up. Then I went up to the desk and the woman didnt speak English but she understood when I said internet. She came over and connected it for me.

There were mostly kids in the pc room playing video games. I was in there almost 2 hours which costed 1,900 won. Its 1,000 won for an hour.

On the way to the PC room a little korean girl spoke to me. I was crossing the crosswalk and this little girl(probably younger than 5) says hey. I thought she said hey but I wasnt sure. As I was walking away she said "nice to meet you". Then I turned around and said "nice to meet you too" then she came up closer to me and her brother also spoke to me. That was the first korean that spoke to me out on the streets.

I ate at Burger King again. This time I tried the Whopper with cheese meal for 6,700 won (about $5 usd). It was good. Not as good as an American whopper but good. And the cashier at Burger King actually understands what Im ordering!

Then I went to Home Plus again. Its sort of like a super walmart but more like a mall. They have 4 levels and almost everything! I have to go get something everyday! Today I got laundry detergent (store brand), fabric softener, dish detergent, sissors, tape, 2 notebooks, store brand frosted flakes, milk (grade 1A?), a mirror, a cart, snacks, plastic bowls and plastic spoons. I spent around 54,000 won. The things are decently priced. Laundry detergent is expensive so I got the store brand.

I havent bought much food yet because I dont know what it is! All the foods are in korean so I dont want to end up getting some weird food. Plus I dont know how to cook it.

When I got home I tried my Tesco Frosted Flakes and milk. Its good! I also got some snacks. I found Walker's shortbread chocolate chip cookies. expensive but good. I also found some cakes that resemble moon pies. I like the moon pie cakes. Not as good as a moonpie but I do like them.

I went to look at the washing machine. Its a small one and its in korean. The instructions are in korean also.

School starts tomorrow. I'll be teaching 4 classes from 4:10 till 9:25. I only get a 5 min break between classes. I'll be teaching 3 levels so I'll be teaching one of the lessons twice. Then I'll teach the same lesson on Tuesday. Right now I only have 2 classes on Tues/Thursday.

No comments: