Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Day 27 more midterms

Day 27 January 13 2009 Tuesday

Today was the last day of elementary midterms.

in my first class I was just reviewing. I covered all the material that we have learned so far which was only 5 units. Then there was time left over so I gave them a word search to do. These kids love word searches. They see you pass it out and they get happy. I was amazed at how quiet they were. I gave them the word search and they sat there quietly the rest of class and did the word search.

When I was about to begin my 2nd class the korean teacher came in and told me that she had warned the rowdy students that if they are loud again they will go to detention. They were confused when I told them that we were reviewing what we had learned. Yeah I think it was a stupid idea too. I had one absent student and one of my students that was a troublemaker is no longer in the class. I also had a new student. We laughed a lot in this class today. When we were reading there was one student who was talking in a high pitch voice. That made me laugh and the whole class laughed as well. Then this class loves to laugh when they hear the word "shadow" so everytime we heard that word we all laughed. This class was actually good today. I was surprised. I think the korean teacher drugged them or something. (not really but they really were that good). They are usually rowdy and I have to tell them to be quiet about 10 times. by the time we got to the reviewing the last unit half of the students had quit repeating along with me. After we finished I gave them the word search. They enjoyed that. Some of them worked together on it. I know how to make them quiet--give them a word search. I was impressed. Even when they were working together they were still quiet.

During the 3rd block I had to teach middle school. I don't have enough material to cover so I made them a word search and a crossword puzzle. The crossword puzzle actually tied in with the lesson today on puzzles. I don't understand how I am suppose to make 3 pages last 50 minutes. Its ridiculous! We were done in about 15 mins and that was after we repeated everything twice. I cant make the material last that long with only 2 students. If I had a bigger class it would be easier. Next week we will review for midterm and practice speaking. I have to give them a speaking test next Thursday.

4th class I had to administer the 2nd part of the exam. That took up most of the class. One of the students said the test was too hard. I gave them a word search at the end of class also.

I ate at Wips again tonight. I got the chicken cutlet. Its really good! Then me and one of the other foreign teachers went grocery shopping at home plus and shared a taxi ride home. we didn't have that many groceries but it was great to not have to walk in the cold! The cab fare to our apartment was only 1900 won (a little more than $1..its about a 10 minute walk.)

weather: 11:20pm -5 celcius (23F) It might actually get into the 40's on Saturday. The high is suppose to be +7 celcius which is 44F...

I hate having to convert everything! Why can't we just use a universal temperature...and money...and language? why?

Exchange rate: 1354 won = $1 usd

No comments: