Saturday, January 10, 2009

Day 23-Friday

Day 23-Friday January 9, 2009

So We've been having trouble making the material last 75 mins on Fridays. One of the guys was making word searches and crossword puzzles for his kids. I was thinking what a great idea. so me and the other teacher made some too.

Those word searches were a lifesaver! My first class liked them the most. It gave them something fun to do while searching for vocabulary words plus they were able to socialize with their classmates to see who found what words. Maybe next time I'll make it into a game to see who can finish first.

The korean teachers had their first faculty meeting today. Our new person in charge told us what they talked about. We got a job description paper. We can't sit down in class. cant wear jeans. we arent suppose to buy our own supplies. the school should pay for everything we need for school. I bought a few things-oh well I didn't know. He also was telling us of how if we want to go out drinking just let the vice principal know and we will go together and use the school's money. If we ever go out to a formal dinner with faculty the oldest person pays. They don't go dutch here. We aren't used to that!! well that would be nice if I actually drinked. He also told us we shouldn't be listening to music at work or checking our emails or using instant message. I check my email a lot at school. what am i suppose to do during my free time? He was also telling us to socialize with the other korean teachers because they are very shy and self conscious about their english skills. He was also telling us how we got our desk assignments in the teacher's lounge. Michelle wanted to be beside me. 2 girls saw Andrew's picture and said "I want to sit beside him".ha. He was also telling us how the Korean teachers get paid less than us. we get paid more because we have better english skills.

Monday and Tuesday is the student's midterm exams...we wont be teaching that day but im confused about what we are doing. I think we are reviewing and in one class I have to give the exam. I dont know.

Today Michelle asked me if it was okay to change our plans. Instead of a movie she wants to go snowboarding. neat. we are going tomorrow morning. Thats actually on my list of things to do so thats great!

I find it interesting to look at all the kids pencil cases. I never rememeber students in my elementary school having pencil cases. All the kids have pencil cases. some of them are really cute. Ive seen some in the shape of a rabbit, dog, and frog. Others have flowers and smiley faces.

In one of my classes we talked about "going out to eat". In the 2nd and last class we talked about movies.

In our 3rd class we talked about "Knut the polar bear leaves the berlin zoo","Britney Spears back on top" and "Alexander the great" from a newspaper written for students. It would have been neat if I could have brought in clips from the songs in the article, but I dont have any Britney Spears songs.haha. It would have been good to let them hear what I was talking about. The article mentioned "baby one more time" and "Womanizer". I dont think they understood when I told them to rewrite the article and pretend like they were telling the news. I told them to write what they would say if they had to present that story on the news. No one really wrote anything. So I moved on to the next article.

I had another new student in my last class. The bad student from last time was absent but now I have another rowdy student. I had to keep telling him to get in his seat. He didn't want to do the work and kept asking when it was time to go home. He told me I was a bad teacher. The other student said "you are just a bad student". She told the truth on that one. I'm not looking forward to that class anymore. I'm going to get strict and give them detention if they are bad.

I was reading more essays. They are terrible! I have 6 essays that are totally off topic. I have to correct it on whatever topic they wrote on. I cant understand half of it. I asked one of the teachers if they had a different topic and they said no. The students were confused. I think they need to spend more time explaining and letting the kids know what an essay is. They were suppose to write more than 10 sentences and most of them are too short. One of them just wrote an outline as the essay. how do i correct that?

After school I went to eat supper with andrew and michelle. we went to a restaurant called Wips family restaurant. I had a chicken cutlet. it was great! and only 6,500 won. that was a good amount of food for the price. the chicken was good and I liked the side items. one was some kind of macaroni salad that had corn in it. we also had a soup which tasted like chicken noodle. The only thing I didn't like was hot water. they gave us hot water to drink.

Exchange rate: 1342

weather: 5:56pm -2 celcius=28 F

No comments: