Saturday, January 3, 2009

Day 6--2nd day of classes

Day 6--December 23--Tuesday

Today was the 2nd day of class. The first day of our Tues/Thurs classes.

I found out yesterday that I now have 3 classes on Tues/Thurs instead of 2 classes.

Today I was sitting at my desk and the middle school head teacher informed me that I had to teach a middle school class today. WHAT! I told him I didn't know how to teach middle. I just found out about 4 hours before the class began! I was on the schedule but he failed to inform me until the last minute. (Theres a lot of miscommunication around here!) He told me to just teach out of the book which is just speaking exercises. So I made a short lesson plan. This class only lasts 50 minutes. There isnt much material but I thought I might be able to make it last 50 mins if I could let the students take turns practicing. I felt like crying then when I found out I had to teach a class where I had no clue what was going on!

My first class had 9 students on the roll and there were too many people in my class. I told one of the korean teachers and she came in and said something in korean then about 3 or 4 of them got up. They were in the wrong class. Then I had a girl who wouldnt answer the roll. Then she started crying. I told one of the korean teachers and he came and talked to her and took her out. She was in the wrong class also. So out of 9 students--8 showed up on the 1st day.

My second class had 10 students. I think this might be my problem class! They are a little rowdy.

My 3rd class was my middle school class. I only had 1 student. How was I suppose to make the lesson last 50 mins!! We repeated everything twice. I got him to use the vocab words in sentences. We still had time left over. We even went on to the next unit and finished it.

My 4th class had 3 students.

The most challenging class was middle school because the material was so short. its easy but I only had one student. It would be better if I had more students so then I could make them repeat and practice taking turns speaking. I was done with the whole lesson in 20 mins. and I didnt have a clue what I was doing!!

All my students today participate. My second class might be a problem. I had to tell them to be quiet a few times.

Tomorrow I've got to figure out everyone's English names. I should have done that on the 1st day but I didnt know that the name in the English name blank wasnt their english name. oh well.

Today at Burger King I met another foreigner. I saw a white person and she came over and spoke to me. She has been teaching at a christian school for 9 years. She said she saw me sitting alone and came over to talk. She gave me her name and phone number. She invited me over to her house for Christmas. I dont think I'll go because Im afraid of getting lost.

Friday they are taking us to the hospital to get health checks. I'll have to take 40,000 won, 2 passport photos, and my passport. After this is done we can apply for our alien registration cards. then I can get internet and a cell phone.

I got an email from my recruiter. On Saturday the people who came with ESL Park will be meeting at a restaurant in Itaewon. I'm going. It will be neat to meet other people.

I've been crying a lot lately. I'm not a person who cries often. I want to be at home so bad. Its tough living so far away from home esp when you have no clue what's going on and no one speaks english. Teaching isnt as fun as I thought it would be. Its hard to make the material last 75 minutes. I think I'll try to make it through the semester before I decide if I want to go home.

teaching is a lot of work--lesson plans, entering grades, checking homework, grading papers! Then I was confused when I was trying to enter grades because I didnt find out their English names. They wrote their english names on their papers and all i have are their korean names! some of them wrote their name in korean so I have no clue who's paper it is.

I dont like getting out of school so late at night. We can't leave till 10pm and I dont know where to eat. korean places are open but I cant speak or read korean. I know Burger King closes at 11pm. I really need to stop eating there everyday!

No comments: