Thursday, January 8, 2009

Day 21--Ive been here 3 weeks!

Day 21--Wednesday--Jan 7

I can't believe I've been here 3 weeks! only 49 left to go. 47 of teaching (if I make it that far) 2 weeks of vacation. Its sad that I've already started counting down.

My school is so disorganized! I was walking out of the building and one of the korean teachers tells me to "take up the essays in DA today". What? What essay? Yes everything is last minute. So apparently I'm suppose to take up an essay which no one told me about until the day it was due. I have to mark the mistakes in the essay. I have a feeling Im going to be putting red ink all over the essay!

Ate lunch at burger king again. Yeah im not branching out to try new foods.

We thought we would be getting our Alien Registration Cards this week. They informed us that now the ARC cards take 2 weeks to come back instead of one. We will get them next wednesday. Then I can get internet and a cell phone.

I was suppose to take up essays in 3 of my classes. I went into my 1st class and asked for their essays. They said "korean teacher will take them". so the korean teacher took them up. I went to the 2nd class and they said "what essay. nobody told us to do an essay" so I wrote a note on the board to the teacher "students do not know about the essay." My 3rd class actually had their essays.

I was so confused in my 3rd class. So apparently there are suppose to be 20 lessons in each book. So someone got lazy and only wrote 16 lessons for this book. I had to teach the same lesson twice. wonder what my students think of that. I told them that I knew we were doing the same lesson twice but thats what they told me to teach. I have to follow the syllabus. Last class I assigned the wrong homework because I looked and I wondered why there were 2 sets of questions for the same lesson. I told them to do the 2nd set. I said it must be a mistake-there are two sets of questions for the same lesson. One student did the first set of questions and the other 2 students did the 2nd set. so we went over both. The students who did the 2nd set could fill in the answers while I was going over the other one. so they already have half of their homework done. I hated having to teach the same lesson twice.

In my 3rd class one of the assignments in the workbook was to draw a picture of your bedroom. I watched them draw. they are little artists. They actually took their time and made it look good. One of them got out her ruler to draw straight lines.

so the little boy that was visiting my class on Monday is now enrolled in my class. oh no. he is going to be a problem. Both students had better behavior overall but the new student is annoying. We have to read out loud and he says I don't like to read. I told him if he didn't read that I would give him a lower score. He didn't read half of the time so I lowered his participation score. I had to keep telling him to get into his seat. He was sitting under his desk and getting up during class. The girl in the class wanted to repeat everything like 10 times. That was actually good since I needed material to fill time anyway.

The other teacher from the 2nd class gave me the essays. everyone didn't turn one in. oh well. I was looking over them and I think grading them is going to be a nightmare! They are terrible! I'm going to have red marks on every sentence. I know we have to put marks but I wonder if we can rewrite sentences for them as an example or just mark it as "this is wrong" and let them fix it on their own. I cant try to fix it on my own because the Korean teachers will look at it. I wonder how I correct 2 of my essays when they are completely off topic..Their topic was about commercials. one of my papers was about "why i should be quiet in class". Another one was about "Korea's beautiful seasons". Way off topic!! Some of them need to be completely rewritten. Words are out of place, sentences don't make sense, I don't know what they mean,and a whole list of things that are wrong but I can only put the preapproved marks so they will have to figure it out on their own.

At night me and the guys ate at a korean restaurant. The same one we ate at before. I had Dook Bae Gi Bulgogi. The only dish I know! and it was only 4,000 won.

Exchange rate: 1292

Weather: at 6:35 it was 0 celcius which is 32 F....I also looked at Jefferson's weather (my hometown)--it was 19 celcius which is 66 F....oh how I long for warm weather! It hasnt gotten out of the 30s since Ive been here!

No comments: