Friday, January 23, 2009

Day 32. I finally got a cell phone....

Day 32 Sunday January 18, 2009

People are worried because I havent blogged in a week....Im just so tired and I dont have my own internet so I dont access the internet that often.

Today I went to Itaewon to get a cell phone. Itaewon is full of foreigners. We see more foreigners in 5 minutes than we do in one month in Uijeongbu. Our recruiter met us there to help us. We got our cell phones at LG Telecom. I got a simple phone made by samsung. It was the cheapest one. They were trying to get rid of last year's phones to make room for the new ones. I dont care about high end phones. I cheap one works just fine. My phone is a hot pink flip phone that costed 60,000 won which is about $45 usd. The phone came with a charger, phone cover, mini usb drive, a screen cover, earphones. They gave us 2 batteries. The charger is different from chargers we use in America. You take out the battery and stick it in the charger and plug it up. its neat. Having 2 batteries is neat too. I'll always have a spare battery.

The plan I got includes 325 minutes and 200 text messages. free incoming calls. Its going to cost 50,000 won a month which is about $40 usd. Thats not too bad. I had to pay for the phone upfront. connection fees of 10,000 won will be added to our first 3 bills. My first bill will be automatically drafted out of my account on febuary 22.I signed a year contract. I'll have to pay 10,000 won to disconnect it at the end of a year.

We went to Gecko's Terrace for lunch. The restaurant was full of foreigners. They had an amazing hamburger. The hamburger was 9,500 won and came with fries. my whole meal was 12,500 because I got a coke for 3,000 won. 3,000 won wasnt a good deal for that small amount of coke! We stayed there for a while. They sat around and talked and drank a lot of beer. I just sat and listened since I dont drink. There was this creepy guy there. He kept coming and standing by our table listening to what we were saying. He told us he had been here for 6 months with the army-he told us he was from St Louis. we didnt like him coming around all the time so our recruiter bought him a drink to keep him away. The guy was trying to hit on me but our recruiter told him to leave me alone and that I was his adopted sister. haha. The guy still came back to our table and just stood there. Then he finally left.

At 4pm we went to Hollywood bar and grill. They drank a lot and played pool. I just sat and watched. They did make me drink a shot. One of the guys who is a teacher used to be a bartender so he told the bartender how to make a drink. It actually wasn't that bad because there wasn't much alcohol in it. It was kinda fruity. Everyone makes such a big deal out of me not drinking. I don't understand why its such a big deal. I don't like the taste but everytime I go somewhere people always say "have a drink."

No comments: