Saturday, January 3, 2009

Day 9--Korean Bank Account and Health Check

Day 9--Friday--December 26

So today me and the guys went to get a Korean bank account. The school told us to go to Woori bank. It took a long time to get an account. There were tons of papers to fill out and we have no idea what we were agreeing to! it was in Korean. They gave us a bank book and a debit card. Now we have bank accounts and will receive our checks through direct deposit.



Then we went to the school to meet John. He drove us to the hospital. When we got there he signed us in and then we had to go to get our height/weight, eyes, blood pressure,colorblindness, and hearing. We were all checked out in the same room with everyone else. no private rooms with a doctor/nurse. We were told to bring 40,000 won. when we got there he told us that the test was 75,000 won. luckily I had extra money.

Then we had to have an x-ray taken. I went into a private room to change clothes.I was told to take off all my clothes and put on a robe that was in the room. I didnt like getting naked. but i was told "there is no choice".(I did have a skimpy cover up) ok so anyway I get the chest xray done and then I could put my clothes back on.

Then we went to see a dentist. they have a dentist in the hospital. So she looked at my teeth briefly and told me I had 3 cavities.

Then we go to get blood drawn (to test for AIDS) and then to pee in a cup (To test for drugs). The woman's bathroom had a squat potty. so i had my first experience with that. its tricky. I was afraid of wetting my pants so I took them off. oh and no toilet paper.

The drive home was interesting. John had some English music. The guys were singing along with Backstreet Boys--"Everybody rock your body"..He also had a song by Coolio. One moment was funny. There was a song that said "humpin" and John asked us if "what is humpin..does that mean to jump?"..he said "humping" wasn't in the dictionary...haha..they told him it had more of a sexual meaning. funny!

We got back to the school around 3 pm. Classes started at 4:10. We missed lunch because it took so long. Today was the first day of our special friday classes. The mwf students pay more so they can have an extra class on Friday.

I had no clue what I was suppose to do. I tried to make the exercises last 75 minutes. Its hard. Its such a short lesson. All my students were good today.

When I went in my last class my student who likes me wrote a message on the board "i love you very much miss knight". how nice. I ran out of things to do so the last 10 mins we just talked.

So we were told today that we have to work from 9am till 6pm or 7 pm next week. The kids are on vacation so they are coming during the day. We will be on this schedule for 5 weeks. Plus we have to teach an extra class in the morning.

Its really cold outside. I've been checking the weather and its always in celicius so I use a converter to make it farenheigt. around 1am it was @17 degrees F with a windchill that felt like 8 degrees F. woah. I've never been in weather that cold!!

Today's exchange rate 1309
When I arrived 12/18=1272
Trend--going up

No comments: