Monday, January 12, 2009

Day 26 midterm testing

Day 26 Monday January 12, 2009

I can't believe I've been here 26 days! I've survived 26 of the coldest days of my life!!

Today was midterm testing for the kids. I only had to administer one exam. I was reviewing in the other classes.

So when I went to work this morning I had no clue what was going on. I knew the midterms were going on but I had no clue what my role in the midterm testing process was. I finally found out.

1st class I had to review. I went through and read all the vocab and reading selections for all 7 sections that we have covered so far. And what fun-I got more essays to read and correct.

2nd class I had to review the 7 sections that we had covered so far. I reviewed after the test. I didn't see the point in that but whatever. It will be fresh on their mind for the final exam which is in a few weeks. Gave them back their essays. Their final draft will be due on Wednesday then I have to make final remarks about the papers.

3rd class I had to administer part A of the test. One of my students was absent for the midterm. I was so confused on what I was suppose to be doing. I knew I had a listening part to do but no one had given me the cd yet. I went out looking for the teacher assistant and they brought me the cd. Then I didn't know what the student's id number was. It was suppose to be on the board. The head Korean teacher went and looked up the numbers for me. Then the rest of the testing process went smoothly. They had 60 questions to do in 40 minutes. They finished right on time. I also gave them their essays back. They will bring them back on Wednesday.

4th class is my new rowdy class. We had to review what they had just taken on the midterm. Today the boy that is usually rowdy was more subdued but the new boy took his place as the bad student. He kept getting out of his seat and being too loud and reading at the wrong time. Instead of reading with the class he liked to be the echo. I'd say something, they repeated, then he repeated. later he was reading ahead. I'd read 2 words and he'd read the whole sentence. I found out that the 2 boys are only in 2nd grade. The girl is in 6th grade. So I have 2 8 year olds and a 12 year old. Those aren't their ages, I'm just guessing how old they should be. The boys are really advanced. the trouble maker can read really good. I think he's going to be a problem. If I have to send him to detention everyday then I will.

I told the guys that the Body Worlds exhibit is in town and they were interested so we are going to that soon. Its not the actual body worlds I don't think but its the same concept. it only costs 10,000 won. One of the teachers translated the Korean poster and gave us directions on how to get there by the subway.

We finally got pots and pans and utensils. It was listed in our contracts and we didn't have it when we moved in. So one of the guys complained about it and we finally got them today. We got a frying pan, spoon, fork, chopsticks, 10 piece dish set, kettle, sauce pan, cutting boards, knives, ziploc containers. The VP even brought us some rice.

I bought a few things at the store to make at home. I got simple stuff like ramen noodles, spam, hot dogs. I cooked one of the hot dogs for a snack tonight. I figured out how to work my gas stove. It took me a while! I got the cheapest brand of hot dogs just to try them out. they were called onion dogs. they tasted alright. I wanted some bratwurst but they were expensive. I've got to learn how to cook so I can cook lunch for myself when school starts back on the night shift.

weather: very cold! 11:45pm--14 degrees F (-10 celcius). Feels like -13 celcius (8.6 F)

Exchange rate: 1354 won= $1usd

Tomorrow I have to review for 2 classes, teach middle school, and administer part b of the test to my students.

No comments: