Saturday, January 31, 2009

Day 44

Day 44 January 30, 2009 Friday

I hate Fridays! There isn't enough material to last 75 minutes.

In my first class the students always move ahead. I'm trying to do the lesson and they are almost through.Today we were talking about art projects.

My second class doesnt like to listen. While I'm explaining things they talk to each other. Then they ask me questions because they weren't listening. The directions are simple but it comes time to go over the answers and they say "i dont know". I want to say-if you were paying attention then you would know!!

I had to end my 2nd class early so they could have an awards ceremony. 3 of my students got awards. In my first class there was a girl who got highest vocabulary score and one student got top of the level which means he scored the highests on the midterm.

I think my 3rd class is the least favorite in terms of the curiculum. All we have to do is read 3 articles in a student newspaper and do workbook exercises. Today we talked about Obama, Birds of a feather flock together, and there is this stupid diary section. The material is way too short. I dont know how to make it last longer-the articles are short. we read it together, I ask questions, then we do workbook exercises. Then I end up giving them a word search for the last 30 minutes of class.

My 4th class is where I have the problem child. He just won't behave. I have to tell him things over and over. I even write rules on the board and I have to keep pointing to the rule when he breaks it. Today he was getting loud and the other foreign teacher came over and asked him to be quiet. I always bring a word search on Friday and he knows that I have one. He keeps asking for it and I tell him he doesnt get it unless he is good. Then I gave one to the girl but I made him finish his work before I gave him the word search. He didn't want to do the last page of work but I just stood there and waited for him to write down something.

One of the korean teachers told me that the 2 boys in my last class are moving to one of my other classes. Ok so now the problem children are moving to the class that doesnt like to listen. great. So now i will have the girl by herself like it was for a while. At least she will have a better chance to learn without all the constant interruptions.

Today after class me and 2 other foreign teachers went out to eat with the korean elementary teachers. We went to a restaurant called Longos. They said it was an Italian restaurant but I dont know. I think it was more of a steakhouse. I liked the salad bar. they had watermelon and I liked the fruit salad-it was apple slices in some mayo based sauce. I had steak-new york strib (200g)(7oz) for dinner. (I didn't write that wrong--thats how it was listed in the menu..New York Strib)(haha)It usually costed 25,000 won which is a bit pricey. They were having some kind of promotion and we got a 50% discount. One of the foreign teachers paid for mine since he owed me some money anyway. We stayed there a long time talking about a lot of things mostly school related. They were talking about students, teachers, classes, etc. Afterwards we went to Wa-bar. They had beer and alcoholic drinks and I got a non alcoholic pina colada. It was good. We stayed there for a while then some of them decided to go downtown. I decided I didnt want to.

I get to sleep in tomorrow!!

No comments: