Saturday, January 3, 2009

Day 8--Merry Christmas--Dec 25

Day 8--Dec 25--Thursday

No school today!!

Its the first time I havent spent Christmas with my family. I didnt celebrate at all. I just sat at home.

a few observations:

*a lot of people smoke,

*scooters dont follow any traffic rules

*scooters drive on the sidewalk and go through red lights.

*South Koreans can't drive and a red light doesnt neccessarily mean stop. they go right through it. you have to be careful when crossing the crosswalk-people dont always stop!

*A lot of Korean meals are served family style. Food is in the middle of the table and everyone shares a large portion.

*Almost everyone has a cell phone. all of my students have phones and they are in the 10-12 age range!

*Home Plus is always packed. They have a ton of workers. There is someone at the end of the aisles offering samples or trying to sell an item. So you have someone standing at the end of the aisle giving out brownie samples then you have someone at another aisle trying to sell you laundry detergent. Their buggies turn in all directions and you can take them on the escalator-it doesnt have steps-just a platform that moves

I went to Home Plus today..it was packed! I think everyone goes there for holidays!

I tried a brownie sample. it was good. I also tried some kind of bread like a rice cake. didnt like it really. the wheat cracker was good. I also tried some kind of ham.

I need a korean boyfriend or just a good friend. Its hard being a foreigner. I need someone to teach me korean and show me what to eat and how to pronounce it. and someone to show me around the city. But he needs to speak good English too so we can communicate. Thats going to be almost impossible. I work at an English school but not many people speak good english. the girls speak decent english. there is one guy who speaks better than everyone else. And the principal speaks no english.

No comments: