Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Day 97 busy day

March 24 2009 Tuesday

Today is my busy day. I have 5 classes. Tomorrow is my easy day. only 2 classes and I dont start till 7:10.

I have a ton of work to do this week. I have to give my regular "tests" in my speaking classes. I have to make 9 of those. I've made 3 so far.

I also have to make monthly writing tests for 9 classes. I've got 6 of those made so far. I've got them typed up on word. I wonder if I have to input them into the format to make them look like they were made from the school with the logo. I only teach writing to my 4 highest levels, but I have to make a test for all 9 levels. I don't know what I should put on the writing tests for the lower levels but no one is watching so I can do whatever I want. It won't be too hard.

I also have to assign essays and correct mistakes on essays for all of my classes. They have to do one every month. I've already assigned an essay to my 4 highest classes. Now I have to assign one to my lowest levels. I dont know what to make them write about. I guess I will just make them write about something we have been learning about in our book. If I had trouble teaching writing to level 7 just think about what kind of essays I'm going to get from level 2 and 3. I'm only going to make them write a short essay with about 2 paragraphs.

I hate that the lessons are so short in my classes. In one class I used workbook exercises today so I wouldn't get too far ahead. In my 2nd class I'm further than I should be. I actually thingk I might be a little behind in my higher level classes. They have one day of writing and one day of speaking. The lower levels have 2 days a week of speaking and the lessons are really short.

All my classes were good today. The cd player didn't work in my 2nd class so we couldn't listen to the song so we just read it. My level 4 class got to draw today. We were learning about a few types of food. One of the exercises was to draw their lunch. Then they had to ask their classmates if they had a particular food. "Do you have a cookie?" "No, I don't" etc. My level 7 class is crazy! In one unit we were talking about illnesses like fever, headache, broken leg, etc. There was an exercise in the book that showed a picture of a boy in bed with a broken leg and a friend was visiting. Then they had to draw themselves visiting someone who had one of the illnesses we talked about in class. They had to say This is me and _____. He/she has a ________. One guy said This is me and____. He has a headache. THen they wanted to look at each other's pictures. I looked at his picture. The boy had a headache because he beat him in the head with a baseball bat. oh my. They love listening to the songs because they are so corny. They asked to listen to the song. I thought one of the boys asked me to play it again. He was saying "don't play it again."haha. I'll play it again when we get to that section in the book.

So so much work!I've written out most of my tests, but now I have to put them into the school's format. THey have a form I have to use. Thats going to take forever. And I have to use someone elses computer since I don't have one. I'll do it while she is in class tomorrow. I hate not having my own computer. I hate having to take my own! I still have to use hers though because mine wont connect to the network to connect to the printer.

Its really hard communicating with someone who doesn't speak much English. The girl that I met 2 weeks ago sends me text messages a lot. I can't understand some of them. I guess mk gave her my number because I didn't give it to her. Today I got one that said "how r u getting on in ur buth?" (What in the heck does that say?) I wrote her back and said "I dont understand". And "Handsome is that handsome does" (Huh?)

I finally got some trash bags. Their trash system over here is complicated. You can't just go to Wal-mart and pick up a roll of glad bags. You can only get bags that are made for your district (a dong). Our bags are orange. If you put out a bag that doesn't belong to your district they won't pick it up. I told mk that I went to the store and couldnt find any. Well they keep them behind the counter so you can't see them. I asked him where do I find them. He told me to go in the (KOREAN) store and ask (in ENGLISH). Yeah I don't think that will work. I asked my Korean co-teacher to give me the korean word so I could ask. So I went to GS25 and asked with the korean word. And the girl at the counter asked me all kinds of stuff in Korean. I don't have a clue. You can't pay with your check card. I just happened to have 4,000 won in my backpack. I got 10 20 Liter bags for 4,000 won. Now I have to find out where to put them. Mk told me about a parking lot. I don't know where this parking lot is.

No comments: