Friday, March 27, 2009

Day 100

Day 100 Friday March 27,2009

The won is down to 1333 today. 1333 won equals $1 usd. Thats picking up a little strength. I hope it keeps going down. I get paid in 2 weeks. I can go ahead and make a transfer home if it continues, but you never know. It could be 1400 tomorrow.

I brought some peeps to work. I'm going to let my coworkers try them.

I've got a cough that comes and goes. Sometimes I cough a lot and sometimes I just cough a little. Somedays its really bad.(maybe the yellow dust is making me sick. I've read a lot of posts about people being sick because of it)or this stupid cold spring weather. I really don't want to go to the hospital. I don't like medicine so I haven't been taking any. I took dayquil yesterday but it didnt really help.

I might be in Japan next week. I have to do a visa run to get a new visa. And I have to go alone. scary. oh my. mk said I might be going to Fukuoka, Japan on April 1st and 2nd, but I don't know for sure. I have to make sure he doesn't schedule my flight for too early in the morning. Its going to take time to get there by subway and I want to be there early. I'm going to be so confused! I'll have to do a lot of research on how to find everything and what all i need to bring. I think I have to pay for one night in a hotel. I might try to find a love motel.haha. They are cheaper than hotels and have more amenties. They are for couples but I want to check one out. I read about one in Fukuoka on dave's esl. Chapel Coconuts. I looked at the rooms on their website last night. I might see if its anywhere near where I need to be.

After I get my new visa I need to send my passport off to be renewed.

I got a package from home today. They delivered it to my door at noon. I had to sign for it. The man kept saying something to me in Korean but I don't know what he said. It contained all sorts of goodies from home. My mom just shipped it last week so it got here quick. It only took a week. All of the packages she's sent have taken a few days longer. What did I get in my package? Peeps, all sorts of candy, macaroni and cheese!, grits!, shampoo and body wash that I like but don't know where to find here.

Only 3 classes today. I dont think I'll get anything accomplished in my lower level classes. I have to give them 2 tests and an essay. Yesterday it took almost all class for my higher level so it will take longer for lower levels.

I having lunch with the director tomorrow in the afternoon. I'll find out tonight what time and where. mk called me today to tell me about it. When he called it sounded like he said he missed me(hasn't seen me in a week). I just said okay. (i prefer to see him less often).

Its four weeks into the new semester and I have a new student. Today his class was taking tests so he just sat around. I didn't have anything for him to do. I couldn't give him the tests. He hasn't learned anything in my class yet. Since it was his first clas I didn't assign him an essay. I assigned the essay in my 1st class. I don't know what kind of essays I will get. They don't even know how to write their age or what grade they are in school. I think the test was too hard for them. I didn't know how to make it any easier.

In my 2nd class they had a hard time with the test also. It took all class to do two tests and explain the answers. I didn't have enough time to go into much detail about how to do their essay. There were 3 boys sitting beside each other in class. I made the one in the middle move so they wouldn't be so close together during the test. He wanted to sit in the front of the room facing the class right beside where I stand to teach the class. I let him sit there. Then the other 2 boys moved closer to each other and I made them skip a desk between them so they couldn't cheat.

In both classes I had to explain the directions to the writing tests multiple times and they stil didn't understand. Giving writing tests to levels 2 and 3 is not good. If they don't have a writing class then why give them a writing test? No one is teaching them how to write. I only teach speaking for the lower levels.

I still have students who won't turn in their essays on time. The guy that said he was going to bring it today didnt bring his. Another guy didn't bring his. One of my students in my last class today did poorly on his test. I explained the directions but he was asking me questions about how to spell things that weren't on the test. I told him to make a sentence with the words on the test not his own words. He still wrote his own sentences. He made a 10 on the test. He got 4 out of 10 points on his test for speaking class. I gave them a word choice box and he still wrote down things that weren't in the word choice box.

No comments: