Monday, March 16, 2009

Day 76 First day of teaching and no bed!

Day 76 March 3 2009 Tuesday

It just keeps getting better (NOT!)

I texted Mk in the morning twice. He finally got back to me after noon. Someone was at the school and would open the place where my luggage was and I could get what I needed. So I went there and got something to wear and other essentials. Then I went back to the hotel and got ready in less than an hour. Then put my stuff back in the room and headed to school. I took the subway to work. Took me 35 minutes in all with walking from my hotel to the subway and getting on line 3 and transferring to line 6. I got to the school at 2:05. I didn’t have any trouble finding it. Its right off of the Gusan subway exit. Then I asked one of the girls who are elem. Teachers if it was okay if I got lunch. I hadn’t had time since my whole luggage fiasco. So I found a mcdonalds right next to the school.

I unpacked my laptop and it took them forever to set up my connection to the internet network. I wish I didn’t have to take my laptop to school. Its really heavy! Why don’t I have a computer?

My classes were okay. I had 5 classes in all. 2 back to back and an hour break then 3 back to back. I counted that I have 26 students in all for Tues/Thursday. My biggest class had 9 students. My smallest class had 3 students. The material is short and goes by fast. I watched a teacher yesterday and I thought it wouldn’t be a problem making it last 45 minutes. In some of the classes I covered more than I probably should have. I don’t have a syllabus. I just know that Im suppose to cover 3 units in 4 weeks so I have freedom to do what I want. I’m going to have to find some games to fill up extra time.

My 4th class was hilarious. In a book called “twist and shout” there is a song for every lesson. We listened to the song and they were laughing the whole time. We listened to it 3 times and cracked up every single time. It was that cheesy. It was talking about Fanella the Fairy. Good times.

Today I had 5 classes.

First class had 9 students. About 5 of the students have English names. I don't know what to call the rest of the students. The attendance is in korean.2nd class had 5 students. All girls and they all have English names. 3rd class had 3 students. 2 of them have English names.4th class had 4 students. They all have English names. One of them is a really good speaker.5th class had 5 students.

I made it through my first day!

After school MK came to meet me to go to my apartment. We took a different subway stop this time so I could know how to get from my apartment to the school.I will walk to Enag-am (about 10 mins) and take the subway to Gusan. At least I won’t have to transfer. Both stops are on line 6 and I’ll have to go one stop over. I just hate that I’ll have to pay $1,800 won everyday to get to school. Oh well. We finally got to my apartment around 11pm. Mk told me he had been shopping all day but he didn’t get a bed. Wow this school just gets better everyday. Great. I have to sleep on the floor. Im going to be in a lot of pain.

I like the officetel. I’m on the 3rd floor. I was so glad there was an elevator! No carrying luggage up stairs! My apartment is right next to E-mart and about 10 mins from the subway. The room is huge. Way bigger than the one in Uijeongbu. I have a bidet in the bathroom. I’ve never used one before so that should be interesting. I have a microwave!! I have tons of closet space! That’s great. But as of now I have no bed and no chair. I have a desk, but no chair. I have a TV but no cable. It might be a week before I can get internet and cable. I have a washing machine in my room. I did 2 loads of laundry. At first they were telling me the laundry was broken because they couldn’t get the door open. I told them I HAVE to do laundry tonight! He showed me how to use the machine. The controls are in Korean. This machine has a drying function. It doesn’t get them completely dry. They are still damp.

They didn’t bring my transformer! I hope they find it or they will be getting me another one!

I didn’t get a chance to eat supper since I was in class and then I was waiting on Mk. I talked to my mom for a little while then I was going to head out to Mcdonalds at 11:50 pm (EMart closes at midnight). Mcdonalds was already closed. I ended up walking around and didn’t get anything to eat. There were a few places open but I was scared that they were all in Korean and I wouldn’t understand anyway. I ended up eating ramen noodles(from the USA) in my apartment around 2am.

Tomorrow I only have 3 classes and my 1st class is at 6:20. that will be nice. I’ll have plenty of time to plan. I know I’ll need extra material. Although 4 hours of planning and I’m going to be bored! I’ll probably spend some of that time on the internet.

I heard about The Bachelor. I haven’t watched it yet though. I can’t wait to see what happened. Hopefully someone will put it up on piratebay soon!

I think I might be going to Uijeongbu on Friday to cancel my Visa. MK said something about going there Friday, but he didn’t give me a time yet.

No comments: