Monday, March 16, 2009

Day 87--White Day

Saturday March 14

Today was White day and of course I didn’t participate. There’s Valentines day where the woman gives the man candy. Then there is White day where the man gives the woman candy. I’ve heard there’s even a black day where single people “celebrate” together. Now there’s a holiday I have to celebrate.

I got up at 1pm. I love sleeping in.

The cable man and the internet man and MK came to my apartment today. They were all here at the same time. The cable was hooked up quickly but the internet took longer. He kept asking for my “protocol” and I had no clue what he was talking about so him and the cable guy were trying to set up the connection. We finally got it.

Internet--broadband--35,000 won per month----$23 usd with today's exchange..thats cheap for broadband!!

Cable--lots of channels--25,000 won per month--$15 uds a mont with today's exchange..also very cheap

The cable and internet are in the school's name for a one year contract.

I also have a landline phone. I called my cell phone from my home phone to get the number.

Im meeting Mk and his coworker tomorrow at 3pm in Itaewon. He wants all of us to see a movie too. I don’t know who is coworker is. It’s a girl but he keeps calling her a “he”. Its weird over here. They like to call everyone “he”. Even women. And the children can’t distinguish male and female names.

I went to Itaewon to eat lunch. I went to Gecko’s Terrace. They have a great cheeseburger. Pricey but good. $7 usd for a cheeseburger and fries but its worth it!

I was walking around looking for a tailor. There are tons of tailors in Itaewon. But I’m confused. What’s the difference between a custom tailor and a tailor? I've never been to a tailor on my own before so..I need to get my pants hemmed. I think its going to be hit or miss. I’ll go back next week. Hopefully I find one who speaks English!!

After I got off the subway there was this woman who was trying to talk to me. Her English was bad and I couldn’t understand. She followed me all the way to my officetel. She kept talking in Korean and I’d give her this blank stare of “I have no clue what you are saying”. She kept saying “church of god”. That’s all I could understand. People are crazy over here. I can't believe she followed me all the way to my officetel..its a 5 minute walk. Once I got to my building she told me bye.

I came back home and downloaded a lot of stuff on the internet. In the past week I’ve downloaded the whole first season of “How I Met Your Mother”. Its an American show. I’d never watched it before. Andrew is always talking about it so I thought I’d check it out. I like it.

I also downloaded a lot of music to add to my itunes library. I downloaded some songs by ABBA and Mano Chao. I also downloaded “The curious case of benjiman button”. Woah. Its 2 hours and 43 minutes. I started watching it and I don’t think I like it and I sure cant sit down for a whole 3 hours and watch it. I HATE long movies. 1 hour and 30 mins is long enough for a movie. I don’t think I’ll watch the whole movie.

So I tried logging into my internet around 2am and I couldn’t login. Maybe there is a time when you cant logon like really early in the morn. I don’t know. I’ll try again tomorrow.

I watched some shows on cable. They have a few English channels.I turned to this one channel and episodes from season 1 of “how I met your mother” were on tv. I saw a commercial for "Scrubs" but I dont know when its on. I also watched some music videos in Korean. There is this one song that I hear everywhere and I like it. I saw the music video. I finally know who sings it. His name is bobby kim. I found a version on youtube.

I’ve made it through 2 weeks of teaching at the new school. 50 weeks till I can come home! And only 48 weeks of teaching. Yes I’m already counting down. I’ve been counting down since the day I got here!!

I think this is going to be the worst year of my life. Seriously. I used to be a happy person, but I’ve changed. I’m lonely and most of the time I just feel like I want to be alone. People are driving me crazy and I’m a bad teacher. How do you make 2-3 pages last 45 minutes without making the students repeat one sentence 100 times?

I am so ready to be at home! I wish I could come home! I don’t want to be here! I’m screwed either way. America is in a recession and I know I wouldn’t be able to find a job. I had a lot of trouble after I got laid off in 2007. no one wants to hire me in America. I had to come all the way over here to get a job and now I’m not making much because the won is tanking. Why is the whole world in such bad shape?? I wanted to save up for a car, but if the economy doesn’t shape up then its not going to be a reality. I’ll have to get some piece of crap old car. I wanted a new car!

No comments: