Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day 436...last day of school

Friday Feb 26
click on album to view: (My gifts on the last day from my sweet students)

last day


I Went to post office to mail a box of things I sent 8000 g-17 pounds for 28,000 won…about $25.I sent it by surface mail. South Korea's postal system is great!! Its cheap to send mail from Korean to the USA but its expensive to send mail from the USA to Korea. It's going to take a while but I didn’t put anything valuable or anything that I needed right away.There were a lot of people in the post office.I heard them clapping and I was wondering what was going on over in the corner. I looked over and they were watching the Olympics.The south korean skater was on tv. She won a gold medal. That's the biggest news in South Korea right now.

My team leader gave me a hairbow as a gift. I wear my hair in a ponytail almost every day. Its cute. It looks like a crown.

My first class was good. When I walked in the girl gave me a present. She told me it was chocolates. She also wrote me a note. It said "Hello Valerie teacher. I am is Anna. The while hard teach thank you. then good bye. From Anna...How sweet! We covered 3 pages in our spelling book today and then I let them play a game till the end of class. They love hangman.

My 2nd class was also good. Before class 2 of the students brought me a little heart card. I'll post a pic so you can see what it says. Today I decided to only do 3 articles since it was our last day. They were interested in the articles. They asked a lot of questions about the blood and the blue whale. Then we had some free time. They like to play around on my computer so I thought i'd show them Google Earth. They were fascinated by it. I showed them a close up of some neighborhoods in South Korea. One boy pointed and showed me where his house was. Another student showed me his elementary school. I gave the kids my phone number and email so they could keep in touch. When I was leaving the kids were teling me they loved me. One of the boys makes me laugh. He kept telling me "I don't love you. I like you." He told me in class and then he told me after my last class. Is that suppose to be good or bad? Is it better for someone to like you or to love you? He's a sweet kid. He used to tell me I was beautiful all the time. He's 13. I think he has a crush on me. how cute. One of the kids told me last semester "he likes you".

My 3rd class was good. The boy was watching figure skating on his cell phone during class. We covered 3 articles.

My 4th class was actually good. When class started they were begging for a party because it was my last day and one of the student's last day. He told me he was going to die. he was just kidding. It was his last day at our school. They were asking for a game. I gave in and let them study one page and then we would play a game. Surprisingly, they were very well behaved today! We had a good productive game where you start a word with the last letter of the last word. 3 of the boys in the class wanted my phone number. They also gave me theirs. One of the boys told me he was sad because I was leaving. Actually my biggest troublemakers in the class wanted my phone number. Those 3 boys rarely paid attention, but outside of class they were sweet.

After work we went to a restaurant to eat Galbi. It was delicous. We ate a lot. I ate a lot of salad and Galbi. I was so full! The top boss came to see me. He ate with us for a little while.It was the first time I had met him. After we finished eating we said our goodbyes. Our team leader told me she would miss me. I told her I wanted to come back next year. She was excited. She would love to have me come back to the school. She wants to keep in touch with me through email. So hopefully I'll be working at the same school again!!

I know everyone in America, yes everyone,would be heartbroken, but I might consider staying 2 years next time. (I'll come home to visit) In that time I could save up enough money for a nice car (Hyundai Genesis Coupe!).I even want to buy a Korean car. I wanted that car before I even thought about coming to Korea. Next time I'm going to try to live as frugally as possible and save a lot!
Maybe I'll just find a temp job for 2010. I'll stay at my parents and just work enough to cover the essentials. Round 2 of Korea will be 100X better because I know what I'm doing. maybe i'll take some time to travel while I'm in the USA. I may even consider getting certified in TESOL.(Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages). I want all of my students to be excellent English speakers!

Now I have one year to practice my Korean. I want to have some level of fluency when I come back. I need to search hard for a Korean friend in the USA. Or I could even use skype or a webcam to communicate with someone in Korea.

I leave on Sunday...I can't believe its been 14 months! Its going to be so weird seeing everyone again!

Sorry its so long..If you made it this far you are a great person. I feel like one of those people who just won't shut up.

No comments: