Monday, February 22, 2010

Day 431

Sunday Feb 21

I feel like I'm writing a novel today!

Today I decided to venture out on the number 2 subway line to check out Tomatillo restaurant at Yeoksam Station and Star Avenue in Jamsil.

I went to Tomatillo first. Check out my other entry about it.

Gangnam Media Pole:


On my way out of the subway station I saw some b-boys dancing. I was walking down the stairs and one of the guys said to me, "he's going to show popping. He's one of the best b-boys in South Korea." I watched for a while. I made 2 videos on my digital camera. I made another entry for them.

My time in South Korea is coming to a close. I keep thinking about how much I'm going to miss Seoul. Out of all the places I've lived I've never loved a city like I love Seoul. Its really a great place. I love how easy and cheap it is to get around. I don't even need a car! Its very safe. I walk around at night without a care in the world. I would NEVER do that in Charlotte, NC. I'd probably end up dead. I want to come back. I have to come back! There are so many things I didn't do in South Korea.

I would have stayed longer. Its hard when you feel torn because you love being independent in a foreign country where you have a great life, but your family and friends really miss you and want you to come back. I feel needed here. I'm scared of going back to the USA where no one wants to hire me!! Why? I'm a really hard worker and a fast learner, but they look and see that I have no experience and pass me by.

I want to come back in 2011 and teach at the same school. I hope that will be possible. (If it is maybe I'll just take a year to travel and do some temp work.)

Next time I'll do things differently. I'll start up Part 2 of my journey on my blog and maybe even blog daily again. I'll travel to all the provinces (and maybe even hit up Australia and Europe-knock out 2 continents towards my 'travel the whole world' plan), try more Korean food, make my blog bigger and better, create a Youtube channel, save a lot of money, don't eat fast food, diligently study the language, carry on a conversation in Korean, put my whole heart into seeing my students succeed, and make a lot more friends esp Korean friends. I think it will be a lot easier the 2nd time around.

And maybe I'll find a nice Korean man who speaks English and we'll get married and I'll move to Seoul (or he will move to the USA) and have lots of cute Korean babies.

Last night I found a collage funtion on Picasa. I've been using Picasa for quite a while and I never tried to make a collage. Then I had the bright idea to make a collage of my trip today. I wish I would have discovered it sooner. My blog could have been a lot more interesting!

I was thinking today that photo journalism would be a great career for me.

I'm contemplating buying a new camera...another dslr...the one I'm considering is very expensive. It's $800 on ebay and comes with 3 lens and a lot of accessories....I'm hoping I'd be able to sell my Nikon D40 for at least $400(with lens and accessories). Its less than 2 years old, i just bought a new battery and charger, has a remote, 18-55 lens, and a bag.

When I got home I started packing. So far I've got one big suitcase full of clothes and other random items. I'm afraid all my clothes aren't going to fit into 2 suitcases! I'm also afraid that my bags are going to weigh too much! Fitting a year's worth of things into 2 suitcases and a carry on is tough!! I have two laptops. I put one of them in my luggage. I know they say not to do it, but one laptop is having problems so its no big deal if something were to happen. Packing up is always my least favorite part of moving! I even have a box of things that I'm going to take to Salvation Army. I have way too many clothes, but I just don't want to part with some of them!If I want to be able to get my suitcases home I'm going to have to get rid of some things. If it gets down to that I'll just have to pick my favorite items to keep and donate the rest to salvation army. I can always buy new clothes when I get home. I also started cleaning and emptying out cabinets and drawers. I still have a lot of cleaning and packing to do. I also have a lot of trash!

No comments: