Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day 430....meeting an online friend



Saturday February 20

Today I met one of my online Korean friends(Hyunwoo Sun) in Gangnam. He was also meeting up with another friend(Steve) and his friend's fiancee(Jo). I've been following Hyunwoo for quite a while and finally decided to meet him. I found out about Steve through Hyunwoo. Hyunwoo sent me his youtube link and I watched some of his videos last night.


First we went to eat lunch at a Korean restaurant. Jo asked for a picture menu. They had pictures of the food on a laminated sheet of paper. It reminded us of flashcards. There was a picture and the food listed in Hanguel. As I was looking through I was excited when I found out they had 뚝배기 불고기. (I should have taken a picture. oh well. too late now!) That was the first dish I ever tried in Korea. I think I actually tried it on my 2nd day in Korea. Its my 2nd favorite dish after 삼겹살. Even when I didn't know any Korean I would go into 김밥천국in Uijeongbu and order that dish(one of my American friends told me how to pronounce it). Its really delicious. The best 뚝배기 불고기 I ever tried was in Uijeongbu at a 김밥천국. I've had it at a lot of different restaurants and no two restaurants taste alike. Every one has their own special way to make it. Its not like Mcdonalds where the big mac tastes the same no matter where you go. I was actually disappointed when I found out that the Kimbap Heaven near my house didn't offer 뚝배기 불고기.

They are surprised to find out that I write in my blog every day. I'm not a big talker, but my creative outlet is writing (although I'm not a very good writer). I like to share my experiences with others. This blog was created to keep my family updated and to share my experiences as an Expat who was leaving America for the first time. At times blogging can feel like a chore, but its one thing that I set out to do (blog every day during my journey) and I really wanted to stick with it. I like to share what its like day to day for an English teacher:My experiences, cultural differences, failures, successes, and funny things the kids say. I also like to include information and pictures of interesting sites that I visit.한국은 대단한 나라입니다

When we finished eating we headed out to a cafe. While walking to the cafe Hyunwoo made a video introducing me and Steve. We stayed in the cafe for a little while and then decided to head out for some adult beverages. We ended up going to the Tree Hof. They had adult beverages and nachos and I just observed. I don't like alcohol. The taste just isn't very pleasing to me. We headed out around 6pm.

Me and Hyunwoo were going in the same direction on the subway so we rode together. The subway was packed! Line 2 is the most crowded subway line in Seoul. When we were getting on at Gangnam station it reminded me of that video on youtube where there were so many people getting on the subway that they literally had to be pushed in. It was almost that bad. If you ride line number 2 forget about personal space. Personal space does not exist in South Korea! That took me a while to get used to. He was getting off at the stop after mine so we just talked to each other during the subway ride.

and now I'm home. My next post will be introduce Hyunwoo and Steve. I think they are definitely two people that you should check out on youtube.

나중에 봬요!

No comments: