Sunday, February 14, 2010

Day 424-Seollal and Valentine's Day

Feb 14 Sunday

Two holidays in one day. Seollal is the big family holiday. My part of Seoul was really quiet today. Tons of things were closed. Even E-Mart was closed. Kimbab Heaven was open.

I bet Valentine's wasn't so big this year. If you are spending time with your family in your hometown then you dont have time to spend with your significant other esp if you live in different hometowns. Here's a good comparison: What if Valentine's Day and Christmas happened on the same day? Christmas would be more important. That could never happen but I'm trying to make a point of how Seollal is more important.

Valentine's Day in South Korea is different from America. In America girls usually expect chocolates/flowers from their man. In SK, the girls are suppose to give chocolates to the boys. In March, on white day, the men reciprocate. Then if you didn't receive anything on either day you get together with other singles and eat black noodles together on black day in April. All of these holidays are on the 14th of the month.

I slept half of the day away. I finally woke up around 5pm after going to bed at nearly 5am.

I ate dinner at Kimbap Heaven. I wanted to eat at Mcdonalds but it was closed. Lotteria was also closed. Kimbap Heaven never closes. Its open everyday 24 hours.

I watched "The Invention of Lying." Very weird movie. I'd say 3 stars or that might be a bit generous! They live in a world where telling the truth is all they know. I liked the slogan for Pepsi. It made me laugh because its so true for me. Pepsi: when there's no coke. (yes, i prefer coke!) Everyone tells the truth until one day one man tells a lie and then things escalate out of control. He just keeps telling more lies.

Well that's all for today. Tomorrow I have another day to rest! I'll sleep in although not as long. I want to go out and buy souveniers for myself and my family.

1 comment:

trician said...

For a single at a place away from home “AT HOLIDAY NO SHOP”, what’s the most painful thing? HUNGER AND LACK.