Saturday, February 6, 2010

Day 415

Friday February 5

My first class was good. I gave them their newspaper test. I make it really easy for the little kids. They both made 100. While they were taking the test the girl was singing "Bibimbap is yummy" over and over. It was cute and funny.Then I gave them their spelling test. Our words had eer or ear in them. The boy made 100 and the girl made 50. Then we did our lesson and I let them play a game for a few minutes. The girl was writing my name on the whiteboard in Hanguel. My last name is spelled 나이트 which would be pronounced (na e teu) when romanized...나이트 클럽....they know the word nightclub so I'm Valerie nightclub...2 of the younger students have called me that..haha...At the end of class I gave each of them 2 stickers. Then they started begging me to give them 3 stickers. It was so cute. They got down on their knees and begged twice. The girl even got down on her knees and was hugging my leg. I still only gave them 2.

My 2nd class was my favorite newspaper class. I look forward to this class every week because the kids are so enthusiastic and interested in the articles. When I was passing out the papers they all started shouting "me first, me second..." There's only 4 articles so I went with who asked first and I wrote it on the board.They liked the pic of the pet deer….They said it was cute and deer meat is expensive…one looked at it and said “meat”…the deer’s name is dillie…when they would say dillie one kid would say ‘delicious”….Everytime we have a story about an animal at least one person says it looks delicious..haha.One boy pronounced Ohio funny…everyone laughed-it was hilarious.He said it like "oh e o" They corrected him.They all liked video of 5 year old drummer…said he was a genius drummer and they asked “he’s only 5?”…They were telling me how difficult drumming is..His name is Jonah..They kept asking me “what’s his name?”..They said that Jonah sounds like a bad word in Korean..so they want me to keep saying it…They thought the bird was cute.One kid looked at the picture and said "no meat"..haha……I didn’t have a pic of universal studios……They asked if “theme park” was an English word…its the same in Korean
테마 파크 (tema pakeu)romanized.

My 3rd class was okay. There are only 2 students. We also do the newspaper class, but they arent so excited about the articles. The boy unwillingly participates.

I just wish all my students had the excitement of my first 2 classes....

My last class feels like a lost cause. I try my best but they don't seem to want to learn. Almost everyday is a struggle. They are loud and they wont pay attention..Half of them wont practice speaking and reading aloud…we had a decent class but not as good as I would have hoped..Today we started a new chapter on food.We went over 4 pages of new material. All during class they are playing around..throwing things at each other…For some reason they think my nose is funny..They were calling me Pinnochio. I just laughed at them. Oh well. Its not like I can do anything about my nose. I was born this way and if they think its funny then oh well.

14 school days left....

only 3 weeks left in Korea....

No comments: