Friday, February 19, 2010

Day 428

Thursday Feb 18

We had more snow today. I guess it happened overnight. It wasn't snowing when I left in the morning. There was maybe a half inch and it was mostly gone by night time. That makes it the 6th snow of the year I think. 1 big snow and 5 tiny snows.

I went back to the dentist for another appointment today. Today's appointment was longer than all the other appointments. I got a temporary crown and I have to go back on Tuesday to get the permanent crown. I got finished right in time to make it to school at my normal time. I'm glad I took my bookbag with me to the dentist. It worked out perfectly. When my train made it back to my station it was the exact train I would have caught if it was a normal day. The 1:39 train heading into the loop.

My first class was good. Today we took our writing test. Most of them did pretty good. The newest student didn't do so well. He made a 51. 2 of my students were absent. I told them today that next week is my last week. One of them asked why. I told her I was only here for a year.

My 2nd class was exactly like it always is. The 2 boys talk constantly. First, I gave the speaking test to the student who was absent on Tuesday. He did a pretty good job. I had to ask him some of the questions a few times to get him to answer then correctly. Then I gave the students their writing test. 3 of the students did well. One of the talkative boys got the highest grade. The newest student didn't do so well because he didn't follow directions. On one part he was suppose to use "was and were", he used is, am, are which made no sense in a past tense sentence. Then on the 2nd part he was suppose to use "go and went". He used is and are again. The other kids laughed when they found out he didn't follow directions.

My 3rd class was the newspaper class. They seemed to like the articles today. Today's articles were: Elephants play basketball, world's tallest teen girl, man runs up the empire state building and the busiest subway line in Seoul. They liked the picture of the elephants playing basketball. They all laughed. One of them wanted to take a picture of the picture on her camera phone. They gasped when they found out that the tallest teen girl was 210 centimeters. (She's 6'10 for the Americans who don't use the metric system..btw did you know that America is the only country that doesn't use the metric system?) She's taller than Michael Jordan and she's only 16! They liked the picture.




We had our writing test in our last class. I put some Korean words on the board to help them with terms they seem to have a hard time with. They have a hard time with after, last, order, and adjective. 3 of the kids did really good. One kid just gave up. He was guessing on everything. When he turned in his paper he told me to just mark everything wrong. He made a 5. Last month he made a 16. His average for the 2 months that he's been here is a 16. He just doesn't try hard when it comes to writing.

I watched American Idol. They were choosing the rest of the top 24. There were a few people who I didn't recognize in the top 24. Some people just don't get any screentime and you wonder 'who is that?'. 2 of the really good singers didn't make it. The Korean made it. He got a lot of screentime being seen on camera but they didn't show him singing at all during Hollywood week. I wanted to hear him sing! I really like the little 16 year old boy. He's so cute and polite. Andrew Garcia is one of my favorites. I like Katie Stevens and Crystal Bowersox.

6 more school days....Monday and Tuesday i'm having parties for all of my kids. The new teacher is suppose to come on Wednesday so I'll be sharing all of my wisdom with him/her for my last 3 days. I'm going to make out a list of what I need to cover this weekend.

As far as I know my flight still hasn't been booked and I'm suppose to be leaving in about 8 days! I sent my old recruiter a text message on Wed and Thurs and he didn't respond. If he doesn't respond by tomorrow I'll try calling him.

No comments: