Thursday, April 30, 2009

Day 134

April 30 Thursday

Today was busy!!

I had to help the teachers put together bags of goodies for the students today. There was choco pies, a drink, chocolate, cookie and they put a note in it. It was to celebrate Children's Day which is Tuesday May 5th. No one even told me that we wouldn't be having class on Tuesday. I was going to make my essays due on that day but all the students say that we don't have class on that day.

In my first class one of the students doesn't like my writing on the board. She told me I need to fix it. Its not bad. Its a little crooked, but she wants it to be perfect. crazy! Its neat and you can read it. This girl is crazy. She is the same person who argued with me that the book was wrong and that i shouldn't put too much faith in the book. Other students were trying to show her that the book was right but she was determined to make a case about how it was wrong. The book was right!!

In my 2nd class we reviewed and then I let them play games. We played a game where you have to start a word with the last letter of the last word that was said and you can't repeat words that someone else said. Dog-Green-nose-egg, etc. One of the students gave me some sort of ice cream before class. Other students in the class always give me chips and other stuff before class.

In my 3rd class we went over a few pages and I gave them a word search. They said the word search was too hard. When I left class one of the Korean teachers asked me if I could stay with that class longer. They were giving a test in the other classes and they needed more time. So I stayed with my 3rd class and I just let them play hangman the whole time. I wasn't going to get too far ahead in the book. Then I wouldn't have anything to teach later.

I finally got to go to my 4th class at 8:10. I only had 15 minutes left to teach. I didn't actually teach them anything. I gave them their weekly test and corrected it and then class was over. When I was leaving they said "class is over". I said "I have to teach another class".

Then we only went over 2 pages in my 5th class. We are finished with that writing book. They will start a new book next week. They have to buy a new book and we may only go through 3-4 units in the month of May. This class was being silly as always. They were writing about school. During the time that they were writing they were constantly asking me questions. They wanted to know the price of coke in America. It's more expensive in America. I just had to guess what it would be. I can't do all that complicated math in my head. They were asking me if I had heard of all sorts of movies--some I had and some I hadn't.

The exchange rate went down today! I hope its still down when I need to transfer money on May 12th! $1 USD = 1277 won. Since I've been here its flucuated between 1262all the way to 1500.

A global outbreak of Swine flu is imminent. WHO raised the pandemic level to level 5. Level 6 is the highest.

No comments: