Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Day 118....Black Day

April 14..Tuesday

Today is Black Day. It's a holiday for singles. Its for the people who didn't participated in Valentine's day or White Day. I'm not participating in the festivities though.

Black Day (April 14) is a South Korean informal tradition for single people (a.k.a. Unit Solo/Solo Regiment, lee: 솔로부대) to get together and eat Jajangmyeon (noodles with black bean sauce), sometimes a white sauce is mixed for those who did not celebrate White Day.

The idea is that those who did not give or receive gifts on Valentine's Day (February 14) or White Day (March 14) can get together and eat Jajangmyeon (짜장면), white Korean noodles with black bean sauce (hence the name), to commiserate their singledom.
---------------------------------------

I went to the bank today.I paid 2 bills using this machine that's like an ATM. I don't even have to see a teller to pay bills. I got my bill for the cable today. It was 14,000 for half of the month. (didn't sign up till 3/14). I paid my gas bill and cable bill.Then I wanted to send money home. The exchange rate for today was 1337 but she was going to give me a discount since I use that bank. The discounted rate would have been 1330 which would be 751usd for 1,000,000 won. I filled out all the forms and I had a paper with me that had all my information. She found out that I had transferred with Woori. In Korea you can only send money home from one bank. She said she would have to call Woori and I guess close my account there.She said it would take 10 minutes and I didn't have time to wait so I just left. She will keep my forms for whenever I come back.

I got to school a little late. Since I need to close my woori account I asked one of the korean teachers to call LG and switch my account. They couldn't switch my account because I don't know my foreign registration number (because they took my ARC card away). I didn't write it down because I always just show my card, but I don't have a card. I'll have to wait till I get my new ARC card. Then switch my LG account over to IBK. Then I can close my woori bank account and transfer money home. Why does this have to be so complicated? I was fine with Woori but the school made me go with their bank of preference which is IBK so now I have to close my woori account and use my IBK. And I have to go all the way to Nokbeon if I need to go to the bank. Which is a 15 minute walk or a 5 minute bus ride.

Classes were okay today. We didn't cover as much as I wanted to in my first class. Some students were late so that delayed the class a little. 6 people were there on time. 2 people were late. and 3 were absent. I'm going to have to spend more time on Was/Were because I don't think they are grasping the concept.

2nd class was good. One of the students brought ice cream so that delayed starting that class, but we are right on track so it didn't disrupt the flow of class. We went over 2 pages. then we reviewed the unit. then for the last 10 minutes I let them play a game. they played hangman.

When I went in my 3rd class there was no one in the class. Then about a minute later one student showed up. I started the lesson and about 5 minutes into it another student came in. The other student showed up about 5 minutes before class was over.

My 4th class is crazy! I was getting them to spell words in the vocabulary. They were acting all silly while they were spelling the words.One of the guys was asking me about American bad words. I wouldn't tell him any. I'm not going to tell children the bad words. Later in the class he said "I know one. Son of a bitch". This class loves the corny songs in the book. We listened to the one that went with today's lesson. Then they wanted to listen to the one in unit 3 that we heard a month ago. They laughed hysterically while it was playing. It is a funny song. At the end of class I let them listen to songs from unit 1 and 2 since we didn't cover those lessons.

I have to get up bright and early to go to the hospital tomorrow. I have to be there at 11am.

No comments: