Thursday, April 2, 2009

Day 106..bippity boppity boo...

April 2 Thursday

I took my pants to a tailor. They should be done tomorrow. They didn't speak any English. I just took the pair that is the right length and held them up to the ones that are too long. Then she measured and made lines on the pants where they need to be hemmed. Then she pointed to tomorrow's date on the calendar. HAHA. Going to the tailor without even saying a word.

All my students must be watching disney movies...all of them are singing about "bippity boppety boo".

I had to go to Nokbeon today for a class with the other teachers. After the class mk wanted to talk to me and the other foreign teacher. He showed us what a bill looked like. He was telling us about paying our bills. He said he will go with us to the bank the first time then we will go by ourselves. I don’t need his help. I know how to pay bills. I just paid one yesterday and I didn’t even have a bill-just a text message. Then he was telling us about how we need to pay them quickly. We aren’t stupid. You get a bill-you pay it soon. It’s that simple. He called me yesterday and asked me to bring my bill but my mailbox was empty.

I might be going to Japan next week. I don’t know. He’s waiting on my Visa number. He said he might book my flight for 9:20am. That gives me time to get to the airport. Then he said he will tell me how to get there. I told him I already know. He acts like I’m stupid and can’t read a subway map. He says “how did you know that?” I said “Another teacher told me”. Then the other teacher said “She’s not that stupid” (my thoughts exactly!)Then he tells me about “don’t miss your flight”. He tells me of how another teacher missed their flight. The way he says it sounds like it was their fault. He should know that it actually takes time to get to the airport. It’s not a short distance!! It takes time!! It’s going to take me 2 hours to get to the airport by Subway. I wrote him an email last weekend and I said “Don’t book my flight for 8am”. That’s why one teacher missed their flight. He didn’t have enough time to get there.

Then a Korean teacher from my school introduced me to other foreign teachers that teach math. They aren't too confident in their English abilities so they didn't say much. They all wanted me to guess their ages. I guessed a lot lower. I guessed 25 for the girl that was 30. 26 for the girl that’s 34 and 30 for the one that was 37. The girl that was 30 looks like a little girl(Korean women look young). They told me that I looked about 22. Then I told them that my Korean age was 29. The Korean teacher from my school said she wants to introduce me to more of the Korean teachers. That’s cool.

I let the students in my 1st 2 classes play games. We don't goof off that often. Most of the time its all about the learning. In the first class we played hangman. In the 2nd class they played a game. I don't know what its called. One person had a coat over their head and they tried to find the other students. Sorta like hide and seek.

Today I wore a dress to school(students in my 2nd class asked me to on Tuesday). All the students liked it. Some of the students said it was beautiful.

I had another "I can't communicate" moment today. I saw a box with my room number on it in the guard's office. He doesn't speak any English. I handed him my paper with my address on it and he looked at me and said something in korean. Then I pointed to the box. He gave it to me. It was my mattress topper! I put it on the bed. Tonight I'll see if it was worth the investment!

No comments: