Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Day 112....trip to Japan

April 8 Wednesday

I decided to take my laptop with me to Japan. I thought I'd put in in my carry on but it made my carry on weigh too much. So I just checked my other bag and put my laptop in my bookbag.

I couldn't sleep this morning. I was still awake at 2am searching for stuff on the internet. Then I finally decided to lay down and get at least 2 hours of sleep. It wasn't that easy. I couldn't get to sleep. I was still awake at 2:40 so I don't know how much actually sleep I got. I know it was less than 2 hours.

I went to the bus stop to meet the airport limo. It was suppose to come at 5:35 and arrive at the airport at 7:15. It would have costed 9,000 won. Well about 3 minutes before the airport limo was suppose to come a cab pulled up and said that he would take me to the airport for 10,000. I decided to go with the cab. It was only 1,000 more. There were 2 other women in the backseat who were also going to the airport. I got to the airport super early-6:05am for a 9:30 flight. I walked around for a little bit, exchanged cash and finally checked in around 7am. Then I still had time to kill so I ate at Mcdonalds. I had the big breakfast. It wasn't that great. I was disappointed that they don't have mcgriddles. Then I just walked around some more and sat near my gate and got out my laptop.

When I was going through security I started to take off my shoes and they told me I didn't have to. Then I went to immigration and they asked me if I was going on vacation. I told them I was going to get a new Visa. They took away my alien card and stamped "departed" on my airline ticket and Visa.

The flight was good. Very short flight. 55 minutes in all. I was surprised that we had a snack on such a short flight. Asiana is great. That's why they were airline of the year.

When I got to the aiport I had to give my papers to immigration. They took my fingerprints and a picture. They wanted to know why I was there. Then I got my bags and had to take my form to customs. I didn't have anything to declare. Then I was asked some more questions "Where are you going?" "Why are you here?". Then I had to take a shuttle to the domestic terminal because thats where the subway line was. I went to the subway machine and bought an all day pass for 600 yen ($6.00usd). You can ride the subway as many times as you want in a day. Their subway system isn't like Seoul. Their trains don't come as often and you have more time to actually get on the subway.

I took the subway to Tojinmachi. I put my suitcase in a coin operated locker so I wouldn't have to carry it around. It was 400 yen. ($4.00) Then I headed out to find the consolate. It was very easy to find from the directions that I had. Very simple and a short distance from the subway. I got there around 12:15 so I was too early to go get my visa. I went to the Yahoo dome. Took a lot of pictures there. Looked at Hawk's Town Mall. Then I ate at Hard Rock Cafe. I had a Cheeseburger and it was 1,490. That was expensive!! almost $15 for a cheeseburger and fries.

Then I headed out to the consolate around 2pm. The process was very simple. I just went in, picked up a form, filled it out and handed in all my documents and I was on my way. I can pick it up tomorrow at 10am.

Then I found some tourist maps at the consolate and decided to walk around. Took some pictures at a park and sat there for a while. The weather was great! It was warm and a light breeze.

Then I headed out to Fukuoka tower. Fukuoka Tower is 234 meters tall (767 feet). It's the tallest seaside tower in Japan. The admission is normally 800 yen. But they gave me a discount and gave me a welcome card that I can use to get discounts at certian places so I ended up paying 640 yen (about $6.40usd). I got on the elevator and went to the observation deck which is at 123 meters (403 feet). I took some pictures of the panoramic views of Fukuoka. It was foggy though so they aren't as clear as I'd like them to be. I stayed in the tower for while then headed out.

I was going to go eat at Wendys, but I wasn't feeling too well so I just decided to call it a day around 6pm or so. I was tired and my stomach was hurting. I went back to the subway station and headed to my hotel.

While I was taking photos I found out that my battery was getting low!! I went to a few conveinent stores but none of them had batteries for digital cameras. That really sucks! Maybe I can find some tomorrow! I've already taken over 100 photos on the first day. My card is getting full. I need to delete old pictures off of my memory card. yes I still have pictures on my card from 2006. I need to transfer them to a cd and delete them. Or get a new card.

The hotel was easy to find. It is right in front of Hakata station. I am staying at Comfort Hotel. I'm on the 10th floor. A single hotel room costs 6,000 yen ($60 usd). The room is small. They have free wireless internet and they also have a cord you can hook up to their LAN. I chose to connect to the wireless. They have a nice size bathtub and a bidet toilet. There are only 10 channels on the TV and they are all in Japanese. They have 3 "adult" pay per view channels. If you leave your room you have to leave your key at the front desk. At least I can't lose my key.I have to check out of the hotel at 10:00am. I'm actually going to check out at 9:30 so I can be at the consolate by 10am. Then I can do my sightseeing and be at the airport by 4pm for my 6pm flight.

When I got to the hotel I took a long nap. Then when I was feeling better I went out to eat at Mcdonalds. It was 630 won for a big mac set. Thats about 6.30 usd. Very expensive!Then I just came back to the room and started editing my photos.

Tomorrow I have to get up early and go get my visa. I can pick it up at 10am. Then I'm going to do some more sightseeing. I think I will go to one of the gardens to see the cherry blossoms. Then I'll find some other things to see and be back at the airport by 4pm. I'm going to eat lunch at Wendys. I also need to look for some soveniers. I may just wait and buy souveniers at the airport. I hate that everything is so expensive here! When I exchanged all my money I had 23,000 yen (230 usd). I took all of that out of my american account using my Visa so I wouldnt be short on cash with my korean account.I only have 12,000 yen left. I'll do free events tomorrow so I can spend money on souveniers.

No comments: