Thursday, October 1, 2009

day 287 'laundry engineer'

Wednesday Sept 30

Eungam river 2


From Eungam river 2


I told my team leader that my washing machine was still broken. She called the 'laundry engineer' and they will be coming to my house tomorrow at 3pm. She asked me about my lights. They are still burned out. No one has come to fix them.

My first class was good. I gave her a spelling test first. She made an 80. Then we went to the computer lab to do our online newspaper.

My 2nd class was good. We took our speaking test and writing test today. I gave them the writing test first. Then we took our speaking test. They all did well on the speaking test. Most of them spoke in complete sentences and had an understanding of the question. This class keeps telling me I can't go back to America. They don't want me to leave. After we finished I just gave them free time.

My 3rd class was good. We took our writing test today. After the writing test I gave them a word search to do. They sat down and quietly worked together on the word search. They said I was fun. I brought them word searches because my lessons plans for that class take the material way too slow. If I would have covered a lesson today I would have been ahead and not had enough material next time. next writing class I only have to do 1 lesson which is 2 short pages. They were working together and they found out that I found more words than they did so they all gathered around me and compared their search with mine. The word search kept them entertained for a while!

I had to give a test in my conversation class today. One of the students said they were tired and asked for free time after the test. They have been taking exams all week in their classes. We had the test. Then I gave them free time. I graded their exams during that time. They did pretty good. The highest grade was an 89 the lowest was a 59. We had 2 parts to the test. There was a listening part where they had to listen to a conversation and fill in the missing blanks. There was also a matching, true/false and fill in the blank part on concepts we learned in class. One student was absent so I'll have to get him to make up his test.

My last class was suppose to be in the computer lab, but my lesson plans said spelling and we needed to catch up on spelling anyway. They had already gone to the computer lab. I went in there and told them we needed to do spelling so we had to go back to the classroom. After i told them over and over they finally got up and went to the class. Then all of them had to go to the bathroom or get water. Then we had the ordeal of study time for the test. The girls actually studied and were asking me to pronounce words for them. One of the students asked me if they could have 2 stickers if they made higher than an 80. I agreed. 2 of the boys didnt have their book. One of them did but he lied so he could leave the room to make a copy. The boys love to put their hand on the copy machine and make a print of their hand. When they came back they showed me their hand on the paper. Then we finally got to work. Once we started work they were into it and guessing the answers. They started behaving and participating halfway through class. We were doing the work as a class instead of just telling them to do the page. I'd read the clue and they'd guess and I'd write the answer on the board. They were doing a good job. We covered about 4 pages today. I didn't hand out any stickers this class. I told them they had to be good all class. They started being good halfway through so I didn't reward their bad behavior at the beginning of class. After class I graded the tests. There are a few students who always do bad. One student constantly gets scores in the teens and twenties. Some of the others stay around the 40s. The girl who asked about the stickers actually made high enough to get 2 stickers. I'll give them to her on Monday. She was the only one.

I havent went to the gym all week! I skipped again tonight. I may go tomorrow.

They finally had the wall on at the stream near the station. I had my camera with me. It was hard to get a picture of the rock wall. I hate the delay on my digital camera. Its hard to keep it still to take a picture. I took about 13 before I finally got one that was decent. Then I went down to the new fountain. There were a lot of people watching the fountian show. It was nice. They even had music playing to go along with the show. There would be colors and all sorts of water patterns on the fountain for about a min then a short break then it would start again. I took some pictures and some videos on my camera. There were a lot of people standing around recording it on their cell phones. Everyone was amazed. Then I was thinking why didn't I just take a video of the rock wall. I looked back up the stream and they had already turned the rock wall off. I'll have to take my camera again sometime. I also like the rainbow colors on the waterfall.

One more day and I get a holiday! (Oct 2,3,4 is Korean thanksgiving 'chuseok')

No comments: