Thursday, October 1, 2009

Day 288 do re mi

Thursday October 1

Well it was just a normal day.

The team leader told me my washing machine was fixed. They told me my lights were not fixed yet. They changed the bulbs but it didn't work so it must be an electrical problem so they will fix it after the holiday.

My first class was okay. I gave the speaking test to the student who was absent on Tuesday. He did a good job. I gave him a 97 because he answered correctly and in complete sentences. The students were practicing their song "do re mi" while I was giving a speaking test. They asked me to sing it. I don't normally sing for people but I thought I'd give it a try since I knew the song. OH my. It didn't go well. I started off on the wrong note or something and I just didn't sound right for the rest of the song. ugh! Then we covered a few pages in our writing book. One of the students constantly tells me how boring it is. I agree it is boring but I can't do anything about it. Today we were talking about transition words and using them in writing.

I gave the speaking test to the student who was absent on Tuesday. He didn't do so well. He had a hard time coming up with answers and not speaking in sentences. Today we covered 2 writing lessons. We covered nouns, questions and exclamations. They love to ask silly questions. One of the activities was to ask your friend 4 questions. They asked questions like "are you smoking?", "are you a monster?", "are you crazy?".

One of my students in my intermediate level just loves to be crazy. She's the one who keeps saying that the material is boring. Last semester she used to complain that I didn't write straight on the board. She keeps asking me during class "why don't you ever leave the class. don't you need to go to the bathroom?". I told her I have to stay in class. My boss will get mad if I just leave class. I can't just leave class just because my students want to goof off while I'm out of the room. She just wants to do stuff she knows she shouldn't be doing behind my back. Today we had the online newspaper class. I always write the instructions on the board every class. she asked me "why are you writing it on the board? We're not stupid. We know what it is" (yeah then why was she looking at it later?) 3 of the girls just came in and then left. They were late for my class because they went out to get a snack.

My conversation class is a waste of my time! Today our unit was about directions and asking when something opens and closes. They never want to do the conversations right. I give them time to practice and they won't. There are examples in the book and then they are suppose to practice. They just sit around playing on their cell phones and talking to each other. I'm up there talking and they are carrying on like I'm not even talking. I have to keep telling them to pay attention. Only one person actually did the conversations like they should. I was her partner because there was an uneven amount of people. The boys are only hurting themselves. If they don't want to learn then there's nothing I can do. I've tried. I have to make it through 2 more months of these classes where I'm trying to help but they just don't want to learn.

There were 3 girls in my last class. The boy was absent. We covered a few pages in our writing book. Today were were talking about beginnings and middles. They did a good job. They had trouble with adding colorful details. So I gave them the answers to that part. We finished early and they played hangman. They were so shocked when they wrote a Korean word on the board and I understood it. They were like "you know what that is?" and I told them I speak a little Korean. They were also jealous when I told them I had seen some of the top pop singers in Korea.

I skipped the gym again! I'll go back next week. I've only went once in the past 2 weeks. Where is my motivation?

I finally got to wash clothes!

No school tomorrow! Its a holiday! I'm not celebrating their thanksgiving but I'm taking advantage of the day off!!

I really want to get out and do something, but half of the battle is figuring out what I want to do!!

No comments: