Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Day 292 God the Mother??

Monday October 5

I had to go back to work today! I wish the break were longer!

I got my computer fixed last night. When I was transferring over my files from the saved folder to the desktop I lost one of my most important folders! I don't know where it went. I've searched for it but its gone. I must have put it on the desktop before everything was final and it got lost. That really sucks! It had all of my attendance and grades!! I had some of the grades written down so for a few classes I still have my grades. but for a few classes . I know about their performance and participation. Its not like the grades actually mean anything anyway.

My first class starts at 2:30. Well the student was 10 minutes late so we only had a 35 min class. It was actually good because I didn't have to stretch out the ridiculously short lesson.

My 2nd class went really well. At the beginning of class I write some sample answers or prompts for how to answer the questions. We just listened to the questions then I stretched it out by asking every question to every student. We were talking about cybercafes and restaurants. Everyone was participating and making an effort to talk in complete sentences. It really helps to put the prompts on the board because some students look at the board and try to find out how they should answer the question.

My 3rd class is okay but they won't pay attention. The boys are constantly talking to each other and checking messages on their cell phone and going off topic and interrupting class flow. Today they were talking about orifices and poo poo hole air. Class is hard when they don't want to answer the questions. I have to stand right beside their desk and beg them to write down the answers. I just basically gave them the answers. There wasn't much speaking practice going on. At the end of class I only gave a sticker to the girl. She wasn't exactly perfect but she was doing more work than the boys. The boys begged for a sticker but I told them no because they wouldn't be quiet and pay attention.

My 4th class was my weekly conversation class. Today I had a new student so now my class is up to 13 students. One was absent today. We took a test. Then we covered a short unit on family. At least everyone was participating today. Because of the test I didn't have adequate time to give them time to practice conversation. I don't know what I'll use out of that unit for a test since we didn't cover much. Its hard only meeting once a week. They keep complaining to me that the air conditioner doesn't work. I don't know what they want me to do about it. I don't know why the school won't just fix it. Surely the other teachers notice it also. We won't be needing much longer. its starting to get cool.

All the students in my last class were late to class. 5 mins late. They go to home plus before my class. We had a test today. 1 student did really good. another student did a decent job. The other 2 students are still having trouble. They were actually good in class today. They stayed in their seats, they were quiet, they did their work. I think they are starting to realize that if they are bad they don't get stickers. They all want their stickers. I gave them all one for being good today. I also gave one student 2 stickers because she made above an 80 on the spelling test. She made an 84. She made a 93 on the test I gave today. If only the other students had her enthusiasm. She wants stickers so she studies hard. We actually had a good class today.

I had a funny encounter in Mcdonalds today. I'm trying to eat and this man comes up and starts talking to me. He was Korean and he lived in Pennsylvania. I kept just shaking my head at everything he said. He thought I couldn't hear or talk. Then I said something and he's like "you can talk". He thought I was deaf or mute because I wasn't saying anything. I wasn't saying anything because I was trying to get back to my meal. Then he sat down and talked to me.

Then on the way back to school from mcdonalds I got stopped by these Korean women who wanted me to fill out some kind of survey about my religious beliefs. I didn't know how to answer the questions. I looked at them a long time before choosing what I thought could be the answer.(I was raised in church..I should know the answers, but these questions were crazy!) There was one question where I was thinking that none of the answers were right!! There was one about "Do you know about God the Mother?".(what?) The answers were "yes", "no", and "I'd like to know". I responded with "no". These women didn't really speak English. They had a paper that was in English so they could just show it to you and get you to read it. One of their phrases said "our church is near here. lets go get baptized." On their notebook there was something about "elohim academy". I googled it when I got home. They are affiliated with World Mission Society Church of God. It originated in Korea. (people think its a cult-every article I wrote was full of reasons why people think its a cult).

No comments: