Sunday, October 4, 2009

Day 291....Korean church/Deoksugung Palace

Sunday October 4

click on album to view

Deoksugung Palace


Deoksugung Traditional Stages for Chuseok Holidays


I went to church today. The name of the church was Seoul Good Neighbor Presbyterian church. Very small church in a room on the 2nd floor of a building less than 5 mins from my house.

I got there at 10:30am. I went up to the church and sat down. A few mins later one of the church members came in. She spoke some English. She introduced me to her daughter who is in 1st grade of middle school. (she'd be about 14)

The church was in all Korean. The man who invited me was really nice to let me use a English/Korean bible. The left side of the bible was in Korean and the right side was in English. There was also a Korean/English hymnal in the bible. The woman who I met at the beginning of church helped me find the bible passage and the songs in the hymnal. I actually knew the first song they sang. It was "I love you Lord". They sang it in English first then they sang it twice in Korean. While they were singing in Korean I sang it in English very softly. I sang louder when they sang it in English. The woman beside me told me I did a good job. They sang more songs from the hymnal. 2 of them were in the Korean/English hymnal and I sang softly in English. They sang 2 songs that they didn't have a translation for so I just listened. The message was from Psalms 73. Its hard that I didn't know what he was saying about the passage. All I could do was read it in English. At the end of the service they sang the "Lord's Prayer" in Korean. I recognized the song but I didn't sing along this time.
Everyone was very welcoming and excited to see a foreigner at their church. There were about 10 people there in all so its very small. They all speak a little English. Some more than others. They said something about they will try to use more English in the service next week.

The guy who invited me showed me his US passport. He told me he wasn't Korean. He's an American citizen.

After church they had a meal together. There was an assortment of fish, hot chicken soup (it was spicy! but I ate it), rice, and other side dishes like kimchi. I didn't eat any of the side dishes because I don't like spicy food. The chicken soup was good but very hot!. I liked the fish.
___________________
This afternoon I went to Deoksugung Palace. (The 4th palace I've visted in Seoul). They were having a performance from 4-5:30. It was a performance of music and dance. After the performance I went to look around the palace. Most of the buildings are the traditional Korean buildings. There is one building that is 'westernized'. Its really nice. I also liked the fountian. While I was there a woman and her 2 kids asked me to take a photo of them. Then they wanted to use my camera to take a picture of me. I got a lot of good photos at the palace.

How to get to Deoksugung
: Line 1-City Hall station-Exit 2 or Line 2-City Hall station-Exit 12

Price: 1,000 won (less than $1!)

Hours: 9am-9pm-entrance can be made up to 1 hour prior to closing. Closed on Monday.


I posted on Dave's ESL cafe about my computer troubles. I got a quick response. I emailed back to see when he was available. He said he could do it on Sunday. He actually lived near where I was going so it was convenient to meet him on my way home. I met him near the station and he looked at my computer. He thinks I must have gotten a virus and it shut down my operating system. It would cost 75,000 won to replace the operating system. I went to his place so he could try to fix it. He moved my most important files to his computer so he could transfer them back to mine since he had to completly wipe the hard drive to reinstall windows vista. I was there about 2 hours. Its a long process.

He checked out my blog before he met me to see who he is dealing with. (there are some nuts on Dave's ESL). Its funny to have a stranger asking you about things you did. "so did you go to church today?", etc. ha.

He charged me 150,000 won in all.

Now my computer is fixed. I'm glad I was able to get it fixed quickly and didn't have to lose any of my hard work! I only have the most important files left (pictures, word, excel docs, music)

No comments: