Friday, October 30, 2009

Day 317

Friday October 30

My Korean teacher IM'd me while I was at work. He has an interesting idea. We are going to start learning Korean by experiencing things in Seoul instead of just sitting in a classroom. That should be neat. Learning Korean through experiencing Korean culture first hand.

Today we only had one class. We were in the classroom from 4-6. Me and the Korean teacher were in the room together. I can't remember how many students were in there, but some of the students brought their friends with them. Maybe about 15 or so.I think they asked the students to bring friends (probably in the hopes that those kids will become students). The students who brought a friend got 10 stickers. From 4-5 we were making crafts. We made a mask, bag, and cup jack o lantern. I helped the students. The Korean teacher and team leader were taking pictures. The TA filmed the students.

The kids are really well behaved and quiet when they are doing fun activities. It was nice to not have to teach for a change and just do something fun.

I'm thinking of some fun ideas for Nov and Dec. I might teach them about Thanksgiving near the end of November. Maybe I'll let them make turkeys from their handprints. I enjoyed that back in my school days. My lessons are so short and I have extra time to do fun things. In December I may teach them some Christmas songs in our speaking class. We may read some Christmas stories also like "The night before Christmas" and maybe "The Grinch". Maybe we will be able to have a Christmas party. I think I'll incorporate fun things into February for Valentines day. They could make holders for valentines and make paper valentines to give their classmates. and maybe even some videos for each holiday.

I was wearing my mask at first but no one else was wearing one. I wore it for a little while. Some of the kids were asking me if I had H1N1. I told them no. I finally just took it off since I was the only fool with it on.

After the crafts they had a song contest and costume contest. I told the Korean teacher that I wanted to watch the song contest. She let me be a judge. She gave me numbers 6-10. The students would sing an English song and we'd rate their performance. I gave one girl a 10. She did a great job of "Let it Be." The others got scores from 7-9 from me. Then they had a costume contest and i was a judge for it too. I mostly gave them 7-8's. Their costumes weren't really original.(Halloween isn't really a Korean holiday) Mostly witch hats and scream masks. I gave a 9 to one boy who had the best (he won). His was a mask and he had this pump in his hand. When he squeezed the pump blood would run down inside the mask. All the kids were fascinated by it. After class we took pictures. I was in the pic with all the kids. Then I was also in the pic with the song contest winners. Class was over around 6pm. I was being nice helping clean up the mess and the korean teacher told me to take a rest.

I think I enjoyed today better than yesterday.

For the next 3 hours I didn't have anything to do. Me and the Korean teacher were both just sitting at our desk wasting time. I was downloading tv programs and watching them. I watched one episode of "18 kids and counting", "Ellen" with Taylor Swift and Tim McGraw, and "Oprah" where there were stories of women who killed children because they were driving while intoxicated.

Then I came home, changed clothes and finished packing.

If there are no posts for the next 2 days don't think that I've died or something..haha....I'm going out of town so I'll be away from my computer...

No comments: