Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Day 300

Tuesday October 13

300 days...wow

Well it was a mixture of good and bad today....

My first class was good. We went over 2 lessons. One about "What should you do?" and one about choices like would you rather go on vacation in the mountians or the beach, etc. They came up with some good answers. We were talking about sports and they were telling me they liked "foot baseball". I asked them what that was. They described it and drew a picture on the board. I told them that in America we call that "kickball." We finished early and they had a little free time.

My 2nd class was good. One of the boys likes magic. He showed us a magic trick. Then his classmate tried to figure out how he did it. He showed his him how he did it. tricky! haha. We had a good class. Some of their answers don't make sense and I have to remind them to speak in complete sentences. I put prompts on the board so they will know how to answer. One of the questions was "When did you start learning English?" One of them said they started at age 4 and the other at age 5. I think they are both 11 or 12 now. They've been studying for a long time but they haven't really progressed that much. Maybe one day it will finally sink in. I've heard that Koreans study English for a long time, but they are still bad at speaking.

My 3rd class was the bad class for a little while. We were in the computer lab. It started out good. There were 4 students and some of them were doing their work and others were goofing off as always. Then one student came in late. I have to beg him to do his work all the time. He was talking to the girl beside him. Then all of a sudden he hit her. He got up and hit the other girl also. I pulled him away and told him to stop. Then he sat down. Then he starting arguing with the girl next to him. I told them to stop talking to each other. They were quiet for the rest of class. One of the girls called her mom on her cell phone and the boy talked to her mom on the phone. After the incident he actually sat down and completed his work quietly.

After class the girl and the boy were still angry at each other. I don't know why. They were arguing in Korean! When they were in their next class I had a break. I was sitting at my desk and I could hear them yelling back and forth.

The students were back to normal in my class. We had a good class. 2 out of 3 students didn't bring their book. While I was copying there was a paper jam. When I took the paper out of the machine I got ink on my hands. I didn't notice it until I was in the classroom and I didn't have anything to get it off my hands and I didnt want to leave class.We covered 2 lessons about cybercafes and restaurants. The kids weren't mad at each other anymore they were getting along with each other. We finished early and I let them play a game. They played the english game on the chalkboard.

When I was leaving one of the teachers told me I had something on my face. I knew I had the ink on my hands and I touched my face. I can't believe my students didn't tell me!!

I still haven't went back to the gym. Where is my motivation??

I went to the store and got some pepero sticks. I tried the kind with chocolate and almonds. Its really yummy! (a pepero is a cookie stick dipped in chocolate). Actually Pepero day is coming up soon. November 11th is Pepero Day. Its a South Korean "holiday" where people give pepero to each other.
I found this picture on google images...

No comments: