Friday, October 23, 2009

Day 309

Thursday October 22

I called Fedex today. Anyway My package got rejected by customs. She said that customs rejects packages with food in them. None of my other packages have gotten rejected and I think every single one had food in it! The woman asked me what kind of food was in there. I told her it was snacks from America-(mom was sending oatmeal creme pies and fudge rounds). The woman asked me what kind of nuts were in there. Huh? I told her I didn't know that nuts were in there. My mom didn't tell me. She says I need to call customs and explain what is in my package. She asked questions about the nuts. What kind of nuts? are they salted?, etc. I dont know. I told her last time I got nuts it was honey roasted peanuts. So apparently they are concerned over the nuts. Maybe we shouldnt send any more nuts. She said she would call customs to release my package, but I had to send her a copy of my passport first. I didn't know how i was going to send it. She wanted me to send it by email but I dont have access to a scanner. I told her just to give me her fax and I'd try to find a fax machine.

When I got to school I walked down to the post office to see if they do faxes. I walked into the post office but I didn't see any signs saying they offered that service so I left. While I was crossing the street I saw the restaurant that I've been searching for. I've been wanting to know where that don gas comes from that the school calls for. I knew it was a kimbab heaven so everytime I see one I check out the phone number. Those restaurants are all over the place. I saw this one and it had the phone number of the one that delivers to our school. score!! I went in there and ate lunch!! Their don gas tastes the best out of all the ones I have tried from the same chain and now I know where it is! That was fate! I can go there more often now..its not the most healthy food but I bet its a lot better than fast food and its cheap. only 3,500 won which is about $3.00. Its a nice serving size.

The Korean teacher faxed my passport for me from the school fax machine. So I should be getting my package soon. Its been sitting at customs all week long.

My first class was pretty good. They are learning "twinkle, twinkle little star". They were singing it in my class. One of the girls wanted me to sing along with her so I did. Another girl was asking me if I knew a song called "Try to Remember." I hadn't heard it. I guess they are learning it also. Only one person did their homework. Today we reviewed what we've learned so far. I was telling them about thier writing test next Thursday and they informed me that it was the day that we were having a halloweeen party. I asked her "during my class?" and she said yeah. So apparently they are having a halloween party during classtime and they aren't going to tell me until last minute. Maybe I'll actually get a break from teaching! That would be nice. So I told the students that they will have their writing and speaking test on Tuesday. They will also have their other test for what we do online.

My 2nd class was good. We covered 2 writing lessons and an extra activity.

I had my 3rd class in the computer lab. One of the students kept complaining that she couldn't hear the sound on her computer. The computer she was at is crazy. I told her to move to another computer. We had one other free computer. Then when she got to it she wasn't even listening. She was spending way too much time on one article. She thought all she had to do was the one with the questions. I told her to do all of them. Everybody wants to go to get water and to the bathroom during my class. Water is right beside the bathroom. One girl goes to get water and comes back to class then she immediately turns around and goes back because she has to go to the bathroom. Then another girl wants to leave class again. I say no. Then she says "I hate you."

I hate my conversation class!! Its a waste of my time. Today we were talking about asking for help in a store or returning an item for a refund or exchange. I told the students to practice the conversation and they wont do it right. I give them examples then they just do their own thing. I have to keep showing them what they should be doing in the book. Then the 2 guys at the back arent paying attention. They are on the wrong page and looking at a comic book or playing with their cell phone. One of the girls practices but she's always drawing during class. They have a test in our next class. I should make the test hard. If they arent going to make an effort then why should I care what grade they get?

When I walked into my last class I was feeling so tired. We did a writing lesson. I didn't like today's lesson! It was about retelling a story in your own words. We covered a few pages and then they had a little bit of free time. They didn't do their homework from last time so I assigned it again. They have to pick a topic and write 5 sentences about that topic. One of my students was wearing a face mask in class. I wonder if he was sick or just trying to keep from getting sick.

I skipped the gym tonight. I was just too tired to go. I took a 40 minute nap at home. I don't know why I was so tired today. And it hit me all of a sudden around 8pm. I probably didn't get enough sleep. I need to start getting in the bed earlier.

1 comment:

Dave Tran said...

I found your website through SendmetoKorean.com and I'm glad I did! It's great reading how different life is in South Korea compared to here in the States.