Saturday, October 3, 2009

Day 290...Chuseok day

Saturday October 3

Today was Chuseok which is like Korean thanksgiving. I'm not Korean so I didn't celebrate.

I slept in today. I can't remember when I went to bed but I finally got up around 4pm. When I sleep in I really sleep in!

Something is wrong with my laptop!! I turn it on and a blank screen comes up and it just sits there. It won't go any further. I don't know what is wrong. Its only a few months old. I haven't been treating it poorly and I have a virus scan. Now I have to find someone to fix it. oh my! That means I have to use my old crappy laptop until I find out where to get it fixed. Thats really bad! I had 3 different tests made on my laptop. Now I have to make 3 more tests! OH NO!! I'm just taking information straight from the book but I just hate that I have to do it all over again!!

I went out today just to see what was open to get something to eat. I wanted to find out if pizza school is open. It was closed so I walked around to see what was open in my neighborhood. There were a few places open, but its limited where I can go because of my lack of knowledge of the Korean language. I can read Korean but I have no clue what it is. I could have went to Kimbap Heaven and got my usual(돈까스) but I didn't want that today. While I was looking I found out there is a pizza school right near my house. Thats great. I don't have to go to Nokbeon which is a 15 min walk or a 5 min bus ride. Its more conveinent near my house. Since today is a holiday only a few places were open. E-Mart was closed. I ended up getting 2 sandwiches-one for a late lunch and one for a late supper. I went to GS 25 (a convienent store) and got a ham and cheese sandwich and a 돈까스 sandwich. The 돈까스 sandwich was really good. I'll have to check if they have that more often. I check to see if they have the ham and cheese sandwich a lot.

I watched some movies on tv this weekend--"The Devil wears Prada", "2 weeks Notice", and a part of "Music and Lyrics."

Last night I was walking home from the subway and this man stopped me and talked to me. He asked me where I was from and I said America. He told me he was an American citizen also. He was a Korean who lived in America for 20 years (he's 68). He wanted me to come to his restaurant. He told the waitress to bring me a beer. I told him I didn't drink so he gave me a cola. I just sat down and him and his wife talked to me. He asked me if I went to church. I told him "not now." and he was shocked and said "why dont you go to church?" I told him that its hard to find an English speaking church. He invited me to come to the church that is above his restaurant. They meet on Sunday at 11am. He said they spoke English. I'm going to check it out on Sunday morning. He invited me to eat at his restaurant today, but I wanted to stay at home. Plus I'm afraid that the food will be too spicy for me. I also met this one lady who came into his restaurant. She also goes to his church. She was excited to meet me.

So I'm going to church tomorrow. I haven't been to church since February. I know thats bad since I have reguarly attended church my whole life. Its just a lot harder here to get connected because of the language barrier.

I'm also going to visit one of the palaces. There is a performance at the palace. Then I'm going to go see the actual palace and get pictures.

No comments: