Saturday, October 10, 2009

Day 296...한글날 day

Friday October 9

안녕하세요!

Today was Hangul day. 한글 is the written form of the Korean language was created by King Sejong the Great. It used to be an actual public holiday. Its legal status as a holiday was removed in 1991 because of pressure from major employers to increase the number of working days. (that's too bad...it would have actually been a day off from work instead of another Saturday holiday).
-----------------------------------------------

Hangul is pretty easy to learn. It didn't take me long to get the hang of it. I can read Korean. I just can't speak it very well! When I'm reading Hangul I find it funny that some words are just English words that are 'koreanized'. Example: 맥도날드 홈 서비스--it literally says 'Mcdonald home service'. maek do nahl deu hom seo bi seu (that's my attempt at romanization)

Well my first class was same as always. We did spelling.

In my 2nd class we did the online newspaper.  I gave them a worksheet to answer about one of the articles.  One boy just wrote down random answers. All of them were wrong. I made him do it again and he still got it wrong so I just wrote the answers. Some of these kids can't answer the questions because they don't want to read the article. They just want me to give them the answer.

We also had the online newspaper in our 3rd class. They weren't so cooperative. They don't like it when I interrupt them to tell them to do their work. They are talking and not doing their work.. I am so tired of these students ignoring me. I know their Korean teachers wouldn't let them act that way and I bet they don't ignore them. Why do they treat me this way? They don't understand that they are at a school setting and it isn't play time. The 3 boys didn't even make it to the questions because they were goofing off too much. I just told them to do it for homework. (they won't do it!)

My 4th class was okay. We had 2 tests first. A spelling test and a test on the online news content. One student does well on the spelling tests and one student always does poorly. I always give them time to study and they know about the test days in advance so they have a chance to do well. Then we learned our new words. Some of the students start writing their words before I tell them to. Then some of them have already completed page 39 when I tell them to do page 38.  I think the silent letters will trick them on the test on Monday.




No comments: