Thursday, October 29, 2009

Day 315....."This is It" opening night...

Wednesday October 28

I wore my new shirt and shoes today. I was more dressed up than usual. Most of the time I just wear a nice tshirt, tennis shoes, and jeans. Today I had on a nice tshirt and black pants and dress shoes. I got tons of compliments from students. They said I was beautiful. My team leader also told me I looked beautiful today.

My first class was good. I found out that my student in my first class will no longer be at the hagwon after next month. I don't know if that means she will quit at the end of October or November. She was actually a good student. She's in the lowest level by herself so its like she was getting private English lessons. I mostly taught her spelling. Today we did our online newspaper.

My 2nd class was good. I gave them their writing test today. They had a few mins of free time then I made them study 2 pages. We were studying about retelling a story. They didn't really understand at first. I asked them if they knew about "Cinderella." So I told them to tell me what happens. Then I explained that is what retelling is. Telling someone what happens in the story. Their homework was to think of their favorite story and write down the main idea and three details about the story.

My 3rd class was good. All we did was our writing test. 2 of the boys were practicing their song for the song contest. They'd ask me to pronounce words for them. One of the boys was playing the song on his psp. They were singing "You Gotta Be" by Des'ree.

In my 4th class I gave them a test. It was my pre middle school students. They all did pretty good. The student who has only been in my class for 2 weeks got the highest grade. She only missed 4 questions. After the test I just gave them free time. We wouldnt have been able to cover much anyway.

My 5th class was in the computer lab. It was okay, but they do the activities too fast. I gave them a worksheet to keep them busy but they dont read the article. They just skim for the answer or beg me for the answer. I tell them to read to find it. I have to keep begging them to read and quit playing with their phone.

Tomorrow I don't think I'll be doing any real teaching. The Korean teacher said we will combine the classes and I can help them make halloween masks and tell them about Halloween. We are going to give them candy like trick or treating. Me and the Korean teacher will wear witch hats. My team leader was telling me to wear a dress and ghost paint. I dont have any ghost makeup but I can wear my black dress to go along with the witch theme.haha.

Tonight I was browsing the internet to see if "This is It" (the movie about Michael Jackson) was playing in Bulgwang at CGV. I found out it was playing at 10:50pm. It was opening night and I thought it might be sold out but I'd still check. I wanted to see it soon because its only open for 2 weeks. I went after I got finished at the gym. I got there at 10:30 and they had tickets. The 10:50 showing was pretty empty. I'd say less than 20 people.

The movie was really good. It is sad that he died an untimely death. MJ was a great singer. He got caught up in the fame and lived a troubled life, but he had a good long career. I can't think of one song that I didn't like! It would be hard to pick one as a favorite. I like "Billie Jean", "Earth Song", and "Smooth Criminal" the best.He was planning on the "This is It" tour to be his comeback. I never got to see one of his concerts! The movie showed rehearsal footage of the upcoming tour. The rehearsal footage was really good. I think it would have been a great tour! I liked the dancing, songs, videos, special effects. The movie was over at 12:50. 2 hours long, but it was good. Its not one of those movies where you sit there thinking 'how much longer till this is over?'

Afterwards I walked home since the subway doesn't run that late. I love Seoul. Its one of the biggest cities, but I feel its very safe. I'd never walk around Charlotte at 1am alone and its much smaller! I walk around Seoul at 1am without a care in the world. I don't even worry or 'watch my back'. The street is lit up very well so you can see what's going on around you. The weather was so nice also. I'd say it was around 60 degrees. It was a refreshing walk. I need to do it more often instead of relying on the subway so much. Its only about a 15 minute walk.

No comments: