Sunday, May 31, 2009

Day 165 Sightseeing in Seoul

May 31 Sunday

The new math teacher at my hagwon wanted to take me out sightseeing today. We met at the subway station at 1pm and took a bus to our first destination. We walked everywhere else. She paid for everything during the day.

First we went to eat at Sodo Japanese Bistro. I had a japanese pork cutlet. It was very good. Its different from a Korean pork cutlet. There's a different kind of breading and instead of the sauce being on the cutlet you can dip it in sauce.

Then we headed over to Gyeongbokgung Palace and the National Folk Museum of Korea. It was interesting to see all the artifacts from past centuries.

Then we went over to Jogyesa Buddhist temple. There were a lot of people inside praying to Buddha. I didn't go inside. I stood outside and looked in.

Next, we went to Insadong. We walked around and did some eye shopping. I didn't buy anything. We were at ssamziegil. People have written all over the walks in the stairwell. My friend gave me a pen and I wrote "valerie was here May 2009". Then we walked around and looked at the vendors in the streets of Insadong.

Then she took me to see Cheong Gye Cheon stream. Its a pretty place. While we were there some students asked if they could video tape me talking about my feelings about Cheong Gye Cheon stream. It was their homework. They wanted me to talk for one minute. I told them I didn't want to. I don't know what to say to make it last for one minute. Heck I can't even pronounce the place!

Then we went to eat. We had korean beef. It was very good. It was one of the restaurants where you cook the beef at your table on a grill. She asked for a fork for me. One of the Korean men was asking me about why I couldn't use chopsticks. Haha. Chopsticks are hard for Americans because we never use chopsticks. Koreans make it look so easy, but I've tried and I can't ever do it.

Then we went inside Jongno tower. It has 33 floors. On the top floor there is a restaurant. She said the restaurant is very expensive and the food isn't good. I just took some photos from the 33rd floor. Nice view of Seoul. I was actually taking photos from the women's restroom. The restroom had a great view!

Then we headed home. I got home at 9pm. Now my feet are hurting from so much walking!

It was nice to have a local person showing me around.

No comments: