Friday, May 29, 2009

day 163

May 29 Friday

Today I'm gave more tests-2 in each class-monthly writing and weekly word test. We didn't have time to learn new material.

In my first class I gave them a word test and a writing test. They both got 100 on the writing test. I kinda gave them some hints, but I never came out and gave them the answer-just hints then they figured it out on their own. Both students wanted to change their names. The boy wants to be Maple. The girl wants to be Victory. They were excited when I told them they didn't have any homework.

I gave my 2nd class a word test and writing test. The students were asking me what Korean words I knew. They liked hearing me speak in Korean esp when I told them I knew "jugalay" (dont know if thats the spelling or not but it means "want to die?")One student didn't want to do the writing test. I told him he would get a bad grade. He didn't care. Some of the kids aren't motivated. Their parents make them be here. He filled in 3 answers and got them right so he got a 30. Then I let the kids play a game. One boy asked if we could play in Korean. I said no this is English class.They played an English game where they had to say a word that begins with the last letter of the previous word. Egg-giraffe-elephant,etc. They actually did a good job. They wanted to play girls against boys. The boys used a book to help them find words. The girls didn't want to use a book.

3rd class. word test. writing test. played game. 3 students were absent. 2 of those students have been absent 3 classes in a row. The other student missed 2 classes in a row.

I think my school is crazy. Some of the students are moving up a level. So the Korean teachers have to make copies of all the books for the students to use for 2 weeks until we start new books. WHY? why not leave the students in the same level and then move when we get new books? Why couldn't we start new books at the beginning of June instead of the middle? (the person in charge thinks there's so much material that it takes so long to cover..it does not take 15 weeks to cover 6-7 units!!!)At least I'm not the one who has to copy the books.haha. Its going to be crazy esp for writing classes. Some of the students just started 'writing starter 1'(we are on unit 3 and 4). If they move up to level 10 they will be at the end of 'writing starter 1'(unit 14) and will start writing starter 2 very soon. Level 7 just started a new book and we are on unit 3 so if they are moving to 8 then they have to get a brand new book. And now all my class rolls will all be switched since students are moving up a level. I have to make new spreadsheets for every class. Its going to be chaos. I don't know how to test the students for the classes where we are only reviewing. We aren't going to learn the whole unit over again-we are just going over concepts so how do I make the new students do a test? Should I just make up a grade-this is what I thought they would make.

I hope the new books are a lot better and that I can start at unit 1 and have enough material to last. I need to find extra materials also to go along with the lessons. I think it would be fun to teach them English songs. hmm maybe. No one checks up with me to see what I teach. I don't even have to turn in lesson plans. I also hope they give me a schedule this time so I'll know where I should be in the books instead of just figuring it out on my own.

I have about 7 or 8 students who were absent during monthly tests. I have to make them make up the test. Should I just make them take it during class? I can't have them doing a test while Im teaching the lesson. Some of my students have been absent a lot lately. I have one student who has missed 5 out of 8 classes. I have other students who have missed 3 classes in a row. Its hard to figure out their grades when they have missed 2 tests.

I hate my job!! But I love Korea. Its just so different from America and there are so many weird things to see and do. and I love Konglish.

Sunday I'm going out with one of the teachers to see a palace. I'm going to take lots of pictures. Then we are going eye shopping in Insadong. (Eye shopping=Konglish for 'window shopping') I'm learning some Konglish. It would be funny if I come home and start using Konglish phrases. People would look at me funny.

Random Konglish: Hand Phone=cell phone

I had a good workout tonight. I went to the gym alone. I was the only white person in the gym. I've been 6 days in a row! and I'm going again tomorrow! I'm taking it easy tomorrow-probably 45 mins on the treadmill but no weights.

One of the personal trainers asked me where Lesley was. He didn't understand me. His English isn't that good and he loves to just talk to me in Korean and he knows I never understand him. Then I talk to him in English and he doesn't understand me so we just end up laughing at each other.ha. Its quite funny.

Tonight I did 30 mins of interval training on the eliptical-burned 99 calories. Then I went on the treadmill for 25 minutes and burned 175 calories. I think I'm going to start doing intervals 3 times a week with my arm workouts then I'm going to walk on the treadmill for about an hour on the other days. I can burn about 400 calories on the treadmill for an hour at about 5.6 km/h (i think its about 3.5 mph). I'm not going to worry so much about doing leg exercises. I might weigh myself at the gym tomorrow. I hope I've lost something in 2 weeks.

No comments: