Thursday, May 21, 2009

Day 156...im going insane!

May 21 Thursday

I had one of the worst days! I'm tired of this whole essay crap. I'm just going to forget about it and give everybody a C. No more being miss nice girl by giving them a B. If you don't do your assignments you are getting a "C" on your "assignment" grade. I think I C is being nice. Maybe they need an F. Then the parent will say "what happened". Then I'll say "GET YOUR STUDENT TO DO THEIR ESSAY! YOU WANTED IT NOW MAKE THEM DO IT!!". That's what they tell us "the parents want a writing assignment to be assigned". I think that's bullshit because none of my kids parents are actually making them do their essays!! And if you're constantly talking in my class I will lower your behavior grade also.

I came into my first class and told the students to study for their word test. They said "what word test?" "we dont have the words". I said "I gave them to you last Thursday." Then everybody in the class said they didn't have them. The copier was broke so I couldnt make copies so I just told them to study the pages in the book. Then I asked for their essays. "What essay? You didn't give us an essay". YES I DID. I GAVE IT TO YOU LAST THURSDAY. One student was late and she had the essay and the words. I knew I gave it to them. I wouldn't give it to only one student. So I said I would give them the test on Tuesday but they will have 3 tests in that week. I'm just going to lower their grade on the essay. I'm tired of asking for it every class. I think I'll lower it to a C instead of a B this time. Then they were being bad and talking during class. Then We had to listen to a tape. I told them over and over that the answers to the questions were on the tape. I played the tape 4 times and they still were just as clueless!! oh my goodness!! Out of 8 students that were present I only got one essay. The rest just basically called me a liar. One of my students asked me "do you like essays?". I said "no". They said "I don't like essays either."

My 2nd class was actually good except for only getting one essay. 6 students present. 1 essay. We went over homework, took a word test, and went over one page of material.

Out of my 3rd class I was going to have 2 essays but the 2 students didn't write in complete sentences so I gave it back. One of the students only wrote 3 sentences (which weren't sentences at all). I tell them to write complete sentences and they think that means to write the question and write the answer out beside it. I tell them to quit writing the questions in the essay. Assigning essays to the lower levels is a lost cause! I even gave them a sample essay to look at and they still can't figure out how to write an essay. They say "its too hard".

I came in and told my 4th class to study for their word test. They weren't studying for my word test during that time. They were either talking or studying for another teacher's test (which they like to do in my class). I finally told them "lets take the test" (since no one was studying anyway). Then one of the students who was just sitting there talking gets a word list and asks for 5 more minutes. I told him no because I had just gave him time to study and he chose not to. They were talking when they should have been working so we couldn't cover as much as I would like. So I just gave them a lot of homework. Out of 5 people who were present 2 of them actually did their essay but I didn't take it because it was wrong. In our unit they had to do a book review on a fable by Aseop. I chose another fable by Aseop and rewrote it into simple words where they could understand and asked them to do a book review on it. One person wrote about the story in our unit. Another student chose another fable and wrote about it. I pointed out that they were suppose to write about the fable that I gave them on the paper.

Maybe I need to get a stick like the Korean teachers. Then they won't act up as much. I just can't think about hitting a kid. What if the parents found out and complained. I know the Korean teachers hit the kids with sticks, but how would they feel if I did it. While I was in my last class the Korean teacher came in to get her stick that she left. Then the students get that look of "oh somebody's gonna get it" on their face.

My last class was having trouble with their writing exercises. We just did all the exercises as a class instead of trying to let them figure it out on their own. This unit was basically talking about simple past. None of them brought their essays. One of them actually showed me the paper that they had just stuffed into their book and he hadn't even written on it.

I went to the gym alone tonight. Lesley wasn't feeling well. One of the Personal trainers came over to talk to me while I was on the eliptical. He was asking me how I was and telling me how he was sore from his new workout program. He asked me where Lesley was. I told him she was sick. He wanted to know what was wrong. I said all she told me was that she was sick. I didn't ask for anymore details. He wants to know why. I told him that she just texted me and told me.

When I went into the gym the guy at the front desk came to talk to me. (All the english speaking people at the gym usually talk to us everytime we go.) He told me "long time no see". Last time I saw him was on Saturday. He wanted to know why I hadn't been there in a long time. I told him I had been there for the past 2 nights. (maybe he had already gone home by the time I got there bc I didn't see him). Then he told me to have a good workout. I almost said "you, too." but i caught myself. I'm so used to saying "you too" like when someone says "have a good day". Its out of habit and I almost said it for that.haha. He always says "have a good workout". He's kinda cute and speaks really good English. He's usually very sharply dressed-nice pants, nice shirt and a tie.

Tonight for my workout I did 30 minutes of interval training on the elipital (burned 127 calories) then I worked out my arms, back, chest and abs. Then I went to Burger King and ruined it. Yes I have problems!

No comments: