Saturday, May 23, 2009

Day 157

May 22 Friday

I have a "gifted" student in my first class. I guess he did an IQ test. He was asking me about my IQ. The last time I took an IQ test it came out around 117 which is average. He told me his IQ was 134. If thats correct then my student is more intelligent than me. haha.

My first class was productive today. We didn't actually cover much material, but the part that we covered included a lot of speaking and writing. One out of the 2 people had their essay today. During our first class the alarms went off and the lights were flashing in the halls. I guess that was the fire alarm. All the teachers just stuck their heads out their doors to see what was going on and then just went back to teaching their classes. In America even a false alarm would be cause for evacuation.

In my 2nd class nobody had their essay. We took a word test and everyone made a perfect score except one person. I think he probably waits till the last minute to study. He's always looking like he is trying to cram it all in everytime I let them study before the test. Today I gave them 10 minutes to study. Some of them didnt want to study that long so I let them take their test first while the others studied.

During my breaks today I was catching up on "House". I watched one episode at work. Now I only need to see 6 more episodes and I'm caught up with where it ended at the season finale. I hate season finales! I'm almost caught up with all of my shows. Now they don't come back on till around September so I dont have anything to watch. I guess i'll start finding movies, but I have no clue what movies are even coming out.

In my 3rd class we had a word test then we went over our writing unit. One of my students actually typed up her essay and inserted color pictures. She's one of the newest students in that class. Her writing ability is actually the best I've seen at the school. There were a few mistakes, but it was much better than any of the other stuff I get. I gave 2 students their essay back because they wrote it wrong. One didn't write in sentences. The other wrote about the wrong topic. We finished up the unit that we were doing last time in class. They are so silly. When we were having the word test one of the students sneezed right when I said the word and nobody heard it so I repeated it. Then other students decided to be funny and make a noise whenever I would say the word so I'd have to repeat it. They weren't doing it to be mean. They just got a kick out of making the class laugh. At the end of class one of the students liked turning the lights off and picking up the emergency flashlight.

My students are funny. In my 3rd class one of the students asked me "is 'son of a bitch' a bad word. I said yes. Then he said "is 'shit' a bad word. Again I said yes. I'm not teaching them the bad words. They hear them from their friends and from the internet.

So all of my essays should have been turned in by now. I have 47 students in all. I think I received about 6-7 essays. I actually had about 6-8 that I gave back to students because they either didn't follow directions or they didn't write sentences. My essay schedule is all screwed up. I think if they just turn in a first draft I won't even worry about a 2nd draft this month. It was hard enough to get the first!

The new math teacher wants to hangout with me next Saturday. She wanted to take me sightseeing in Seoul. I think we are going to see a palace. She asked what I liked to do and I said I like to see the palaces. Then she called at 1am to tell me that she wanted to change the date till May 31s (Sunday). That was odd. She couldn't wait to tell me at school I guess.

On Sunday I'm hanging out with one of the korean teachers. We're going to an "early study abroad and English camp fair". Different companies try to promote their language program. Its aimed towards Koreans who want to learn English. I'm just going because she asked me if I would like to join her.

I went to the gym alone tonight. Lesley was watching a rugby match. I did 30 minutes of the eliptical machine and then I did a few leg exercises and went home. The personal trainer that I talk to all the time came by and told me I needed to go faster on the eliptical. I didn't listen. haha.

It was raining and I didnt really want to walk home in the rain so I decided to see if the subway was still running. I went down to the platform and I missed the train that left one second before I got there. Then I was looking at the timetable for the trains. I couldn't find a specific ending time for the train that I was on. A Korean woman asked if she could help me. She was telling me that the trains run till about 1am on the weekday and that a train was on its way. Then I got on that train and when I did a man who was getting off told me that the next stop was the last stop. I was confused as to why that was the last stop. I got off at the next stop and started to look at the time table again. This time a young Korean guy asked me if he could help me. I told him that I needed to get to Eungam. I was trying to figure out if another train was coming. He told me that there was another train coming. So tonight within a 15 minute period I had 3 people who spoke good English talk to me on the subway. That's a first!

No comments: