Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Day 139 Holiday: Children's Day

May 5 Tuesday

In South Korea, [(어린이 날) in Korean] May 5 is officially recognized as Children's Day. Parents and teachers give presents to their children as well as spend time with them. The children are taken on excursions to zoos and museums. It was originally celebrated on May 1st, but was later moved to May 5th. The children's Author, Bang Jeong Hwan, was instrumental in creating Children's Day in Korea. He even invented the word in Korean for "children" (어린이) which did not previously exist in the Korean Language

Its a normal holiday..banks, schools and post offices are closed.
---------------------

Today I was up before noon on a holiday. Someone better check to see if I'm okay! I got up early to go to the gym to workout with Lesley. I was going to join her gym today, but I wasn't ready to pay the big price. A one month membership is 150,000($118). If you sign up for 6 months you get a 20% discount which is 576,000($454/$75 a month). I'm going to sign up for a 6 month but I didn't have that much money with me today. I'll be able to join after payday. I wonder why its so expensive!!! They let me workout with Lesley today. We were on the eliptical machine for 25 minutes then we worked with the weights. She showed me all the weight machines and I worked out my arms. I felt good after the workout.

After the workout I came back home and showered. They have a shower the gym but you have to change in front of everyone. The korean woman sure dont mind being naked and changing in front of everyone, but I'm self conscious esp since I'm so fat.

Then I headed out to find a lens for my camera. The subway was crowded today. I went to Namdaemun market. I navigated my way through the crowded market and then made my way to the camera district which has tons of camera shops. I walked into 2 of them and they wanted 200,000 for a new lens. I asked how much a used one would be in one store but they didnt have any used lens. Then i went to a 3rd store. I got a used lens for 130,000 (that was a decent price-lenses are expensive!) and I got a lens cleaning cloth for 10,000 won. So I paid 140,000 won in all which is about $110 usd. The man in the shop gave me a vitamin c drink. I actually have one in my fridge that I haven't tried. I was curious to see what it tasted like. Its actually tastes good. I might have to buy some of those. Its a small drink that provides vitamin c.

Then I headed out to Itaewon to go to a beauty salon. I was searching on google for beauty salons in Seoul that speak English. I found a review for a place in Itaewon called "The Green Turtle". Exit 4 3rd floor of the building that has Quiznos and Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. I got there at 5 they said I could come back at 6:30pm. While I was waiting I went to Geckos Terrace to eat. I had my usual-the cheeseburger. Then I sat outside for a little while just watching people. There was this man who was talking to himself. Then at 6:30 I went in for my appt. I saw someone that I knew there. I met her when my recruiter set up a get together back in December. We talked briefly. She is friends with my friend Joel from Charlotte who is also in South Korea.

They washed my hair and then I guess the next thing was leave in conditioner. They put it on and put on a cap then waited about 5 minutes. The person cutting hair was a man. I showed him a picture of when my hair was chin length and described what I wanted done. He did a great job. After he was done they styled my hair. I wish I knew how to style my hair like the beauty salon. I can't ever reproduce the look! The wash/cut/dry was 25,000 won.



Then I headed home. I stopped by the little river near my subway station. There's a waterfall and it was lit up with different colors and there were fountians that shoot water up. I took a few pictures. Then I went home and played around with my new camera. I love it. I tried out the remote also. I can sit the camera on a ledge and then hold the remote and take the picture. I took some pics of myself. I changed my myspace and facebook default pics. I haven't put up a recent pic in a while.



Back to work tomorrow. Instead of 2 classes I now have 4 on Wednesday. As of tomorrow I will have been here 20 weeks. This is my 10th week at my new school.

I'll be home in @299 days!

No comments: