Thursday, May 14, 2009

Day 149

May 14 Thursday

I was so busy today. When I got to work I was working non stop. I had to print out all the essay topics. I even wrote a sample essay for the kids since they have such a hard time. The topic was "Write about your favorite movie." I also had to print out test sheets and new words for all of my classes. There were papers all over my desk! I have way too much work to do!

Here's My essay:

My favorite Movie is “Office Space”. It’s a comedy. I have watched this movie a lot of times. Some of the characters in the movie are Michael Bolton, Milton, Peter, Samir, and Bill. In the movie, the main characters work at Initech. They all hate their jobs. They decide that they want to steal from the company. They set up a program to only take a penny at a time so they think they will never get caught. They end up with a lot of money. I like the movie because it is funny. My favorite part of the movie is when they steal the copy machine and take it to a field. Then, they beat it with a bat. They really hated the copy machine because it was always broken.

In my first class it took forever to take our word test. First they wanted time to study. Then they wouldn't quit asking me off topic questions. "do you like kimchi?" "do you like bulgogi" Etc. Then we only had enough time to finish one page in the book. We have 3 more units to finish in 4 more classes. One of those classes will be spent on doing writing tests. I'm going to have to try to cover a lot of material, but this is the class that always has trouble. I have to explain things over and over. That's bad that I won't be able to finish the book. I've done the best I could.

In my 2nd class I let them study for a few minutes then we took the word test. Then they wanted to see their grades. I have this one student who doesn't put the words in the right order. I told him that this time I would count it right because he spelled it right but next time he needs to put the words in the correct blank.When I say "This is number one" he needs to write the word beside number one instead of beside number 5. We covered 2 pages in the book. I didn't want to cover too much because we are on the last unit and its very short.

Some classes I can't cover enough material and in other classes there isn't enough material.

In my 3rd class we did our word test. We finished up the next to last unit. Then we played 3,6,9. We only have one unit left. The students in the class complained about having too much homework. I wish I didn't have to give homework, but I do.

The Korean teachers need to learn how to pace themselves in the lesson so they can be done at the right time. Sometimes they start late. Other times they are still teaching right through break time. Then the students take a break when my class is suppose to be going on. Lets say class ends at 4:55. They are still in the classroom at 5:00 when my class is suppose to be beginning.

One of the student's moms gave us doughnuts. (a box from dunkin that the office shared). I guess that was for teacher's day. Tomorrow is teacher's day. I've heard that the student's moms give gifts to the teachers. Wonder if I will get anything good.

My 4th class likes to make noises. strange noises. Today they wanted to talk when they should have been doing their work. We were still able to finish the unit.

In my 5th class we did our writing unit and I assigned an essay from the 1st unit. They tried to beg me not to give them an essay because they have a big math test on Sunday. I have to assign it.

I keep trying to stress how they need to turn in their essays on the the day that is on the paper. I'm giving them a whole week to write their essay. I assigned it today and its due next Thursday. I bet half of the people won't even turn it in. Sometimes I want to scream. Its so hard to get them to turn in their essays!! I need to say "if you dont turn it in I will beat you with the stick." The Korean teachers actually hit the students with a stick when they misbehave. I wouldn't hit the kids. I havent had to discipline any of my kids. Most of them are good. One of the lower level classes likes to misbehave from time to time. I just yell at them.

I bought a george foreman grill tonight at E-mart. It's a little smaller than the one I have at home and it was a lot more expensive. 52,000 won=$41. Now I can start making grilled chicken. I bought some this weekend and put it in the freezer. Now If I can just get up early enough!

I got my gas bill today. Its only 17,000. Last month it was 38,000. It was probably double because I used the heater at night. I didn't have to use the heater in April.I still havent got a internet bill. I've had internet for 2 whole months now. I should have a bill. I told MK that I didnt have a bill. I'll just have to tell Sunny. She will be our go to person since MK is leaving. I'm still getting the other person's mail that used to live here. Its been 3 months and he hasn't changed his address!I wonder if opening someone's mail here is a crime. I know I've opened at least 2 things that weren't mine. I can't read Korean.

I need to go to the bank tomorrow and pay my gas bill and cable bill.

I ate at Mcdonalds tonight. They didnt have big macs ready so I had to wait a few minutes. I took one bite and noticed there was only hamburger patty. One of the workers must have known they made a mistake because they found me and brought me a new big mac and took the other one.

I got a call from one of the Korean teachers around 11:30pm. She told me there is a teacher's day celebration at the Nokbeon campus. And no one remembered to tell me until 11:30pm. Wonder what we will do to celebrate. We are meeting at 2:30 pm. We will probably be there about an hour. That means that I won't have much time to prepare for my 3 Wednesday classes. I know I'll have time after my first 2 classes. So when we get back from the celebration I'll have to work hard to get everything ready for my first 2 classes and worry about the last class after break.

No comments: