Sunday, May 10, 2009

Day 143 Pro Baseball in Korea-Doosan Bears

May 9, 2009 Saturday

I went to my first Korean pro baseball game.

I was meeting my friend Lesley at her station. She was running a few minutes late so she let me know. At her station lines 3 and 6 meet. I was on the 3 line waiting and she got on the 6 line. Ha. So she had to come around to the 3 line. We had to transfer twice. Once to get on the number 2 line then we had to get off that train and wait for another train.

We were suppose to meet some people at the baseball stadium at 4:30. We were running a little behind. It was 4:30 when we got off the subway at Jamsil. When we got there we didn't know what exit to take so we just took the one towards the sports complex. We saw a map outside the subway that showed the direction. Then the person I was suppose to meet called me to see where I was. We were actually walking towards the stadium and she said to meet her at exit 5. I thought she meant the subway station exit 5 so we walked back to the subway. She was actually at the stadium. It was a long walk to the stadium. I called her and told her I couldnt find the stadium. She told me to get in a cab and she would talk to the cab driver. The fare was only 1900 won which is a little more than a dollar. When we were on our way into the stadium we saw a subway exit that would have taken us right to the stadium. We wondered why she told us to take line 2 station 16 instead of line 2 station 18 which would have been a lot quicker.

Anyway we met up with her and some other English teachers. Tickets were only 8,000 won. There were 8 of us in our group. Me, Lesley, our recruiter, and 5 new English teachers that she also recruited.

At the game they had 4 female cheerleaders and one male cheerleader. They also use "thunder sticks". They are inflatable and you beat them together and they make a loud noise. Tons of people had them. They have the team name on them. There was a KFC and Burger King inside the stadium. There was a man with a beer dispenser on his back and he'd walk around selling beer. I took a lot of pictures.

The game was between the Hanwha Eagles(they wore orange) and the Doosan Bears(white). The stadium was packed. I didn't see many empty seats. I was sitting near the foul line way out in left field. The game was very long. One person on the Bears team hit a homerun. When they hit a homerun all the players on their team lined up to congratulate them. The game started at 5pm and was over a little past 8pm. Thats one thing I hate about baseball. It can last for hours and still have a very low score. The Bears won 4-3.

How to get there: Green line (2) Sports Complex Stop (station 218) any of the exits bring you out right near the stadium. I took exit 6 to get out of the stadium.

No comments: