Saturday, May 16, 2009

Day 150 Holiday: Teacher's Day

May 15 Friday

Teacher's Day


Teachers Day: Originally was started by a group of red-cross youth team members who visited their sick ex-teachers at hospitals. The national celebration ceremony had been stopped between 1973 and 1982 and it resumed after that. On the celebration day, teachers are usually presented with carnations by their students, and both enjoy a shorter school day. Ex-students pay their respects to the former teachers by visiting them and handing a carnation. Many schools now close on Teacher's Day because of the rampant bribery implicit in the expensive gifts often given to teachers. Schools can use the day to have an outing for the teachers.
-----------------

I did not get the day off for Teacher's day. Its odd how the children are off for Children's day, but teachers are not off for Teacher's Day.

I didn't get anything from my students for teacher's day :( Maybe they only give gifts to their real teachers at their daytime school.

Today all the teachers from my academy got together for a "celebration". I was thinking it would be like a party. It wasn't. We just sat in a room and listened to a few people speak in Korean. I didn't understand a word they said. The school gave us a "luxury romance towel" as a gift. (Whatever that is!)Its a small towel about the size of a handtowel and they had the school's name embroidered on it.

Today was Mk's last day!! He wants to get together with me and Lesley next weekend.

Now my person in charge of making sure I pay my bills is one of my Korean teachers. She gave me a schedule that tells me what day of the month all my bills are due. I don't know why the school wants a receipt for every bill I pay. Why is that necessary? I'm still confused about why I haven't received an internet bill. I've told 2 people at the school. If it doesn't get paid KT won't be on my case anyway. Its not even in my name.

My students in my 2nd class were being rowdy today. I had to keep telling them to be quiet and get in their seats. Today we were just reviewing. In one of our songs in the unit there is a line that says "there are 20 noisy kids and one poor teacher". That's how I felt today. There are 6 noisy kids and one poor teacher!! I gave them their essay topic today. Their essay topic was to write about their favorite movie. They all handed their papers back to me and said they don't watch movies.(I don't believe it) Anyway I have to make a new essay topic.

I watched 2 episodes of "House" at work today. I'm trying to catch up on episodes that I have missed. I still have 10 episodes to watch and then I will be caught up.

In my 3rd class we did a writing unit. One of my students had this vest thing that you can zip all the way over your head and it looks like a skeleton. When its zipped it covers the whole face. He kept zipping it up during class. One time he was asking for help and he zipped it up. I started helping another student and he said "me first, me first." Then I told him to unzip it first so he could see what I was showing him. He also zipped it up when he came in the teacher's room to talk to a teacher.

After school I went out to eat with a few of the teachers. The school gave us money to celebrate teacher's day. (not individually but to the group to use.) We ate Galbi and Samgyupsal. It was yummy! I ate a lot of the corn salad. Its very interesting and delicious. I don't know what all was in it but I know it had corn and apples and some kind of mayonnaise based "dressing".  I think I ate about 3 bowls of it. Every time I would finish one they would bring another one. In Korean restaurants they have bottomless side dishes.(love it!) I also tried something weird. One of the korean teachers put the word into her korean-english dictionary on her phone and it said it was "Acorn starch jelly". We were in the restaurant for a long time-over 2 hours!

After we got finished eating they decided they wanted to go to a noraebang (karaoke room). My first Korean karaoke experience. Very interesting. The one we went to was open 24 hours.You go into this small room. You only sing in front of the people that are in your group. There were 8 of us. There are couches to sit on and books to choose what song you want to sing. They have a good selection of English songs.(and tons of Korean songs). They brought in snacks and drinks for us.They also have tambourines in the room. You have this remote control where you type in the number of the song you want to sing and the words come up on this big screen TV  While one person was singing everyone was standing up dancing, singing along, and playing the tambourine  We had a great time. Everyone was being silly! They tried to get me to dance but i wouldn't! I sang 4 songs. I started out with "Hero" by Mariah Carey. They all commented on how good I sang. Then I sang "Alone" by Heart. Then I butchered "Bohemian Raphsody" (note to self-never attempt that song!!). Then i sang the last song of the night which was "I Kissed a Girl". Fun times. I think we were in there for about an hour. When we got finished it was 2am!

No comments: