Monday, August 24, 2009

Day 250

Monday August 24

1st class was good. We learned about animals. We studied a few pages of material and then they played hangman.

2nd class likes to misbehave as usual. One of the students was telling be about snakes. I think he was trying to find out what venom was. He just kept drawing pictures on the board of a snake biting someone's arm. I said "snake bite?" and he'd say no. One of the students left the class and went to the teachers room and came back and said "Poison". I knew what he wanted then. I told him it was called Venom. Another one of the students just kept asking me if I like different animals. They do all they can to keep from studying. We finished a few pages and then I let them play the ghost game. They said if we played a game today then we wont play one on Wed. Wednesday we are going to study hard.

During break I finished making my monthly tests and made 2 of my weekly tests. I hate that I don't have a way to print. I was going to print on the Korean teacher's computer while she was in class, but everytime I did I got an error. That really sucks. I think she's installed too many things on her computer.crazy. I'll try again tomorrow during break. I'm not even vauled enough to have my own computer. thats crazy! Lets get a foreign teacher and treat her like crap and expect her to teach our kids how to speak English!

My 3rd class is funny. We did a writing unit. Neither one of them did their homework or their essay. There is a part in the book where you inerview your classmate. The question was "how will your life be 50 years from now?" and one of them said "job, good, not bad". The other one said "good, fun, and rich". Then one of the questions was "what will your job be?" Both of them said they would be finished with their job. One said he will live in Korea. The other one said he will live at home. They are always coming up with crazy stuff. They were excited when I told them they didn't have any homework. (not like they would have done it anyway!)

When it was close to time to go the Korean teacher told me about a change for next session. I'll be teaching a conversation class once a week for 50 minutes. I'll have a beginner, intermediate and advanced level. I'll also be teaching a 6th grade class. She wants me to choose a textbook for all 3 classes. What? I don't know anything about textbooks. I dont know how to teach conversation! And they tell me this a week before the new session so its not like I have a lot of time to do research. I should expect the last minute craziness by now! I wonder if I'll even have my books on time for the new session.

I come to work and I look so happy all the time. No one would ever guess that I'm so unhappy with my job! I'm kinda scared to come back to the USA and start job searching again. Employers don't want you to bad mouth your former employer, but honestly I don't have anything positive to say!! I'll be stuck at some minimum wage job because no good paying job wants to hire me.

I found another English speaking person at the gym. He's the yoga teacher. It was hard to understand him at times esp when he kept speaking to me in Korean. They told him I could speak a little Korean, but I didn't understand anything he said bc Im still at the basic level. Sometimes when he was speaking in English he wasn't speaking clearly enough for me to understand. We kept laughing at each other. Then the girl at the desk would translate. He's 30. The girl at the front desk is 26.

No comments: