Saturday, August 22, 2009

Day 248...Studying Korean

Saturday August 22

I'm starting to learn some Korean. For me its hard to read the characters fast. I romanize it and it becomes a lot easier.

The pronunciation of some of the words is hard, but I'm getting the hang of it.

Tonight I got out my cd and my book and listened to it over and over. I have a notebook where I romanized the main parts-dialogues, conversations. I used to look at it and it took forever to say a sentence because I'd try to go character by character but now I have listened to the cd and romanized it so I can look at it and read it fast. It feels good to accomplish something.

I've really put a lot of study time into this (probably over an hour). I'm going to go to my lesson and look like I know what I'm doing! My progress from yesterday to today is good. When I was reading to the girls at the gym I was going so slow. Now I can read the sentence at a normal speed. Maybe I should tell them what I learned.

I think if my English students studied English like I study Korean they would be great students. To master a foreign language you need to write, listen and repeat over and over again.

I just think that I'll forget it when I go back to the USA because I don't have any use for Korean in America. I don't know any Koreans. At least it will be something good to put on my resume. I can put that I am at a beginner level in Korean and Spanish. After studying Spanish for 3 years I should be at a higher level but sadly after not using it I forgot a lot so I dropped myself back down to the beginner level. Studying Spanish is one of my goals when I get back to the USA.

We had our lesson in Hongdae at 2pm in a coffee shop. Today we learned some basic terms like This, That, Who, What. We started at a more basic level since our book is the 2nd level. We couldnt find the 1st level of the book. Before we get into the book we need to know the basics. We learned how to say "who is this?" "This is Valerie"."What is this?". This is a straw, etc. We studied for a long time. Their sentence structure is different from ours. We would say "Who is Lesley?" and in Korean it translates out to "Lesley is who?". The words are in a different order. I can't wait til I get to the point where I can actually understand what people are saying. Its going to take a while. By the time I leave I'd like to be able to carry on a conversation. I should have started studying a long time ago! I waited 8 months before I started studying. At first I wasn't even planning on learning any Korean but I want to make an effort. Now I can be trilingual.



I'm watching "High School Musical 2" on TV in English-OnStyle channel

No comments: