Friday, August 21, 2009

Day 246

Thursday August 20

In my 1st class one person turned in their essay early. 3 of the 5 students were late to class today. I gave them time to study for thier test and told them what pages to study. Class started at 4:00 but it was 4:15 by the time I got through letting them study since 3 of them were late. We still had enough time to cover what I wanted to cover. We went over homework first then covered 2 pages of material. Today we were talking about the mall of America and American dollars. One of my students was trying to do his listening homework in my class. I told him to put it away. I said "this isnt listening class. this is speaking". he tried to pull it out again to finish his homework but I wouldnt let him. We had a good class. One of the activities in the book was to draw money for their country so I gave them a piece of paper and told them to draw money.

My second class was good. We had a test and then we reviewed one unit and started a new unit. 2 people turned in their essay early in this class. I gave one of them back because she didn't write in sentence.

My 3rd class was good. We had a test and finished the unit. Then I let them play a game.

The Korean teacher took up more of my time today. I don't know why she obviously can't tell time! Her class was suppose to be over at 7:20. I stood outside the door at 7:25. She finally came out at 7:30. She took up 5 mins of my time. Then I gave the students a short break. And I had to take time to give a test so I didnt get much accomplished. If I have a full class I have 45 mins but with giving a test, waiting on the KT and giving a break I probably had less than 30 minutes. They all did poorly on the test. 2 people made a decent grade. 3 of them did poorly because they didn't change the verbs to past tense. 'the bank close 2 hours ago'.I told them that it was suppose to be in past tense like we've been covering in class. All of the things on the test came straight from the book. During my class they don't like to pay attention or do their work. One of the boys was looking at a comic book. They were all trying to do work from their listening class. Only 1 person did their homework. I just wrote the homework answers on the board and told them to copy it. By the time we got through with that I only covered one page. I think at least 3 of those students are moving up to middle school classes in Sept so they won't be in my class anymore. That level is so hard to manage. They are my worst class.

Then I went to my 5th class of the day. Again the KT didn't come out on time. When I went in the students were begging me to not make them do any work because they just had a test. I told them we had to finish our unit. No playing around today. We finished the whole unit 7. Next week we will finish unit 7 and we will be done with the book. Its the only writing book that I've had time to actually finish since we started new books in June.

After my class was over at 9pm I packed up my things and got out of there!

While I was in the gym Lesley brought my Korean textbook to me. She went to the bookstore to get it today-15,000 won. Its the book that we will be taught out of by our Korean teacher who is Lesley's coworker.

When I was leaving the gym the girls at the front desk wanted to know what my present was from Lesley. She wasn't exercising today. She just came in to give me my book. I guess she told them she had a present to give me-you have to go past them before going into the gym. I showed them my book and they were excited that I was learning Korean. They asked me to read a line in the book. Then the cute front desk guy told me that if I needed help I could ask him questions. He also got me to read a few lines from the book. Its always funny how Koreans get all excited when I speak their language even if I say something simple. But I never get excited when they speak English. I never clap or say OMG you're speaking English! HAHA.

No comments: