Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Day 342

Tuesday November 25

It was finally warmer today! It was up to 53 degrees at 3pm!

I went out for lunch at kimbap heaven. I ordered bibimbap. They put a lot of the hot chile pepper paste in it! I scooped out as much as I could! It wasnt too bad, but kinda spicy. I need to learn how to say "not much chile pepper paste!" While I was there a woman started talking to me. She is a housewife and she had her baby on her back. Very small baby. She was asking me all sort of questions. She said she lived in Canada for 1 year. Her English skills were pretty good. She was asking me if I ever tried persimmons. I haven't. She said someone gave her a lot and she would give me some. She wanted to meet tomorrow for lunch and she said she would give me some persimmons and some information. I wonder what kind of information she wants to give me. We are meeting at that same restaurant before I go to work.

My first class was okay. I had to give 2 tests. I didn't make one student take either test. She only came for one class. I didn't make the boy take the writing test. The other students wanted to know why. He missed a lot of classes. The writing test came from examples in the book. They said it was too hard, but I didn't put anything on there that we didn't do in class. They just don't study. At first one of the girls wasn't even going to take it seriously. She was joking that she was just going to pick random answers. She didn't do good on test. She made a 59 and the other girl made a 76. They did okay on their speaking test. Its always a struggle to get them to speak in complete sentences. I have to keep reminding them.

My second class was okay. The students were sitting in the room during break. Then when I came in they told me they had to go to the bathroom. They didn't go to the bathroom. They went to Home Plus and came to class 10 minutes late. Then I gave them their writing test. They were talking during the test. I kept telling them to quit talking. After the test they just had free time. The boys were talking to each other and one of the boys was laughing hysterically really loud. The teacher's assistant came to the door and told him to be quiet. Then he was still laughing loud and the boss came and peeked in the door.

My 3rd class was in the lab. This class is a waste of my time and I just wish I could walk out! At first I had 2 students. They weren't doing their work. They were just eating. I kept begging them to do their work. They wanted to take a math test during my class. I told them no. They cant be doing other work in my class.THe other boy came in at 6:20. 20 mins after class started. then I had to beg him to do his work. He's always messing around with the desktop and changing settings on the computer. He never gets anything accomplished. The other 2 boys didn't even get halfway done. I just don't know what to do. If we are having this class next semester I should suggest letting me do it in the classroom. Just read the articles and give a quiz. We dont get anything accomplished in the computer lab. They just want to play around. Its so frustrating!

My last class was good. I only had one student. This is the same student who will not do a thing in the computer class. When he's in the speaking/writing class he is like an angel. Its night and day. He's good when he is by himself. I gave him his writing test and his speaking test. We were done with both of those within 15 minutes. I prepared a Thanksgiving lesson as a backup for my classes if tests were too short. I used the lesson for him. We went over it and he filled in the answers to a worksheet I gave him. He did a good job. Then he wanted to play a game. He wanted to play bingo with x and o. I think it was like tic tac toe on a bigger scale. I didn't know what the point of the game was. I showed him tic tac toe and neither one of us won. Then we played the game where you start a word with the last letter of the previous word. That went very well.

I can't find the episode of "Ugly Betty" that was shown on Friday night. Why? I'm caught up on all my other shows.


95 days.......

No comments: