Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Day 328

Tuesday November 10

Yesterday there was a funny incident on the subway. There was this man who kept making the door open. The door would start closing and he would stick his foot between the door and it would open. He did that about 4 or 5 times and then the guard came and pulled him off the subway and you could hear them arguing before we took off. It was funny. The Koreans on the train were talking and laughing about it.

My 1st class was good. I still had 2 absent students. Those 2 students have missed 4 classes so far this month. One of them still hasn't taken her October tests. Giving tests at the end of the month is going to be a nightmare! I have a lot of students who have missed a lot of classes!! When I was preparing to start class one of the students told me she saw 2 Americans on the crosswalk. They get excited when they see foreigners. Today we did 1 lesson. We did "What is it?" questions. They did a good job.

My 2nd class was pretty good. I don't think this class is really going to benefit these 2 boys. They spend all class laughing and calling each other names in Korean. Half of their answers don't make sense and are silly. They can't speak in complete sentences without me giving them prompts like "I sleep ____ hours a night." At least I get to laugh a lot. This is my first class this week where all the students were present.

My 3rd class was in the computer lab. We have more headphones! Now we have 5 sets of headphones. There is still one computer without headphones. I think they finally fixed the slow computers also. They were a lot faster today and we didn't have any problems. 2 of my students were absent and 1 boy was late. I had to keep begging 2 of the boys to do their work. I basically have to stand there and watch them to make sure they are doing it. The girl was doing her work the right way. She was the only person I gave a sticker to. The boys mess around all class and they didn't even get halfway through. They are too busy trying to sneak to another website when I'm not watching. One boy kept pulling up 'minesweeper' the game and I kept catching him doing that and made him close it. I told them they had to finish what they didnt complete for homework and we were having a quiz on Thursday. I bet they won't do it and they will end up making a 20 or 30 on the quiz.

My 4th class was good. It always surprises me how the boy who always acts up in the computer class is so good in the speaking class. He usually doesn't bring his book so i let him make a copy from my book. He takes it out to the teacher's assistants. 2 of the girls were absent today. The've missed 4 classes this month. Today we did 2 lessons-"Did you ever" and "Do you like" questions. They did a good job and spoke in complete sentences. We finished early and I let them play a game. They were playing 20 questions at first. Then they'd play 5 questions and they'd draw a hint after every question.

I went to the gym tonight. I was on the treadmill for 30 minutes. When I first came in the gym I saw my friend. I waved and him and talked to him briefly. When I asked him how he was he said he had a big problem. They were having problems with the showers at the gym. He was telling me that we couldn't use the shower. He always apologizes, but I don't even use the shower at the gym! I don't know what happened to the showers. I saw the cleaning lady scooping up water from the floor in the bathroom and pouring it in the toilet. There were girls who worked at the gym who were walking barefoot in the shower room then later when I left the gym they were washing their feet in the sinks in the hall bathroom. It was funny. There are 3 sinks in the main bathroom on the 7th floor. 3 girls had one foot up in the sink using handsoap to wash it.

After I left the gym I was sitting on a bench outside the first floor. There were these middle aged men who were attempting to talk to me. They barely spoke English. I just kept laughing at them. One of them kept pointing to his cheeks and then putting his thumb up. Maybe he meant good smile? It was cool outside and I wasn't wearing a coat. It was maybe low 50's? I wasnt cold. The man had a coat on and he kept pointing to his coat and then touching my arm. He did it numerous times.Later he wanted to touch my face and the man he was with told him "no touch-e" (if anything ends with an h you will always hear an e sound at the end!)

No comments: