Thursday, November 5, 2009

Day 322...lots of absences and 3 new students

Wednesday November 4

13 absent students out of a total of 26 wednesday students.

I had a new student in my first class. I still had 4 people absent. We went over a writing lesson about a summary and using everyday words. We had a good class.

I had 2 students in my 2nd class. There were 2 students absent. They were good for me today. We went over 2 writing lessons about nouns, questions, and lists. They had to draw 4 of their favorite animals for one activity. One of the students is a good artist.

My 3rd class was good. I had 2 new students. 3 of my regular students were present and 4 were absent. We talked about movies today. Everyone actually participated with a partner. There were an uneven number of people so I was the boys partner. Today I actually feel like I had a successful class.

My last class was in the computer lab. There were only 3 students. 3 students were absent. We did our online activities and they finished too fast. I think they rush through and I just don't know what to do to get them to slow down and try to comprehend instead of skimming! I had to keep begging the boy to quit playing with whatever it was that he had. The boy had Nate open and had a chat window open. When he went to the bathroom I closed both pages. This isn't fun time. And they won't quit asking to go to the bathroom during my class. I told them to go before my class during break. I didn't make a sheet to keep them occupied today, but I should have! Note to self-always make something to keep them occupied!

2 of the computers in the lab are going really slow. I told the Korean teacher about it and the TA went to look at them. He said one of them had a virus. I hope they get it fixed. Its really frustrating when the kids are complaining about a sluggish computer and there's nothing I can do. At least the staff knows about it. Whether or not they fix it, thats another story. I have to put up with so much crap!

I went to the gym after work. I walked 40 mins on the treadmill while watching RuPaul's Drag Race.

No comments: