Friday, November 6, 2009

Day 323..If "crowds=H1N1" Why is the subway ok?

Thursday November 5

If you want to see how Expats live in South Korea I advise you to check out this link: www.roketship.com


It's hilarious and so true!! Its a comic about foreign life on the planet Korea.



I bought some vitamin c drink today. I rarely get sick but I'm doing all I can to prevent the flu. I am constantly using hand sanitizer and washing my hands frequently. I've never been seriously sick in my whole life. I've never gotten the flu and I've never done anything to prevent myself from getting the flu. I think I have a strong immune system. They never have soap in the bathroom(very common in SK) at school so I bought some to use. I saw some of the other teachers bring their own soap too. I even saw one of my students bring hand soap in her purse to school.

Today I had 7 absent students out of total of 17 students. My Thursday conversation class had the lowest percentage of abscences of any of my classes. Only one absent out of 7 students.

I wonder if they are making the korean teachers wear masks. They are all wearing theirs. I haven't been wearing mine and no one has made any comments of "you need to wear the mask". I wonder how they feel when they are all wearing their mask but I'm not. I'm don't want to wear it and I don't think they should tell me I have to wear it.

My first class was good. I had 2 students present. We went over a writing unit. They seemed to grasp the concept. We were talking about using different kinds of sentences: exclamations, questions and statements.

I only had 1 student in my 2nd class. When I came in the class he wrote on the board that he didn't eat lunch or breakfast and that he had a temperature of 37.6 C this morning and he skipped school. (I converted it to F at home and its only a temp of 98 degrees so he didn't have a fever) He does seem a little sick though. Maybe its just a cold. We went over 2 writing lessons today. We learned about I and me, pronouns and invitations. We had a good class. The lesson was way too short though. I finished in 30 minutes after going through it slowly and giving a lot of examples. The material was easy so there wasn't anything else I could do to prolong it.

my 3rd class was in the computer lab. I only had 2 students. We had a great class. They listened, they read, they did their questions. It was a perfect class. If only all classes would go that smoothly. One of the girls changed the background on the computer. I told her to change it to something else, but she didnt do it before turning it off. She put up a picture of someone sticking up their middle finger. Why do these kids love the middle finger and saying 'fuck you'?

My conversation class was not so good. When I walk in the room they always say "you are a good teacher." I had 5 13 year old boys and 1 girl. 4 of the boys like to act up all during class. Today they punctured their books and put their books on top of their pencil and kept spinning it around. They thought that was the coolest thing and did it all during class no matter how many times I told them to put their books on their desk. The 4 troublemakers wouldn't always practice their conversations the right way. I give them papers to practice with. I hold up the sheet and tell them which one to practice on the sheet. Today we were practicing ordering scenarios in a restaurant. I asked the girl to partner with one of the boys. She didn't want to so I practiced with her and the boy separately. At least 2 people participated in the correct manner. The boys don't pay attention most of the time and one boy always sits in the back playing with his phone. oh my. The boys left paper all over the floor when they left class. I didn't want to leave the room in that state so I picked it all up. At least I only have a few more weeks with this class. I tried my best. If they don't improve then its their own fault. This class actually contained some of my brightest students with the highest English ability but they just want to act up all class instead of improve.

My last class was pretty good. I had 2 students. 2 were absent. We went over a writing lesson on everyday words and exact words. The boy started laying his head down and he'd fall asleep and I'd wake him up and ask him to do his work. Then he'd be asleep again a little while later. I just gave up and let him sleep for a little while. The other student was doing a good job with the material. The boy finally was alert when there was about 10 mins of class left. Its funny how he just perked up when class was almost over.

I went to E-Mart tonight. They are moving everything around. The 6th floor had been closed for 3 months. Its now open. They moved things up there from the 4th floor and the food court is gone. When I went in today some things from the 1st floor had been moved to the 2nd floor. Now it looks kinda tacky. The old layout was much better. I need to go check out the 4th floor to see what has changed there since most of the 4th floor was moved to the 6th floor. The 5th floor was still the same last time I went up to the 5th floor. Now I have to get readjusted to where everything is located. I had it all down pat and now they move everything around.

No comments: