Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Day 327 polar bear eating an orange

Monday November 9

This is what goes on in Korea: http://blackoutkorea.blogspot.com/

check out that link. Its funny!

My first class was good. I still had 3 absent students. We went over 2 lessons using "Did you ever" and "how to" questions. One answer from a student was odd, but I wrote it on the board. The question was "Explain how to become famous". Her answer was A) go to a dentist b) help people fix their teeth c) make a lot of money.

My 2nd class was pretty good. I had 2 absent students. We only had to do one lesson today and it was very short. We did "what" questions. One student had a rubber ball and kept bouncing it around the classroom. Later they were writing on the board and they put a phrase up there for me to say. I asked them if it was bad and they said no. The girl told me it was about a polar bear eating an orange, but I doubt thats what it was! Then they had me to say it over and over and one of the students recorded me saying it on his phone in my slow badly pronounced Korean. Not knowing Korean could get me in trouble!!

My 3rd class was somewhat better than normal. It was my conversation class. I had a new student today. The first thing he asked me was "can you speak korean?". I said I could speak a little. Now I have a total of 15 students. Later one of the students was speaking to me in Korean and I was looking at him like "what?" and then another student said "you don't speak Korean?" I explained to them that I only speak a tiny bit. I had 2 absent students today. There was an uneven number so I made one of the students practice with me. One of my students is never on the right page and won't ever do her work. Today most of the students were participating, but a few wouldn't. One of the boys doesn't even try. He just says "i don't know." Today we were talking about "I can do it". So the questions were things like "can you cook?", "can you drive a car?", "can you make friends easily". and he would pretend like he didn't know how to answer those questions. One of the students keeps telling me he has a headache. Thats the same thing he said last week. Then another student was telling me she was tired. Some of the students are doing other classwork during my class. I'm glad I only have 2 more weeks with this class. I think I won't even bother with giving them another test. No one ever asked me for the grades. I think I'll just teach them 2 more lessons.

My 4th class is usually one of the worst classes, but today they were actually well behaved. I couldn't get them to study for their test and their grades showed that. They were behaving good so I only made them write their new words 3 times each instead of 5 or 10 if they are really bad. Everyone was participating in class. They asked for a game and I told them we had to do one more page and then we'd have a game. I rewarded them today by giving them a sticker and a game. They were actually pretty quiet during the game. I'm glad I finally had a good class.

I went to the gym and walked on the treadmill for 30 mins. The front desk guy hasn't been there when I come in lately.(I think he has already left by the time I get there. I can't get there any earlier bc of work) Last week I saw him on the 1st floor and he waved at me. I might not get to see him before I leave the gym. Wednesday is my last day at the gym. I'll miss talking to him.

After the gym I went to E-mart to pick up a few things. I got some snacks and a metal mixing bowl. I checked out how things had changed. I kept riding the escalator up all the way to the 6th floor so I can see how things were moved around. Most of the stuff was moved up a floor. There is a sign that says Mcdonalds 8F, but the 8th floor isn't open yet. The escalator stops at the 6th floor and there is something blocking the escalator where you can't go any further up.

When I attempted the Korean pancake once again. This time I used pancake mix, spring onions, one egg, and one can of tuna. It turned out great! It was delicious. Now I have something good to make instead of eating big macs. This isn't the most healthy thing, but its way less fattening than the big mac. I have plenty of the ingredients so I can make more during the week!!

No comments: